Thread: turbo types
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 11:43 AM   #6
Dr Drew

Re: turbo types

Quote:
Originally posted by inspecta83
can anyone just let me know what the differences are (pros/cons) between a few different types (i.e. t3/t4, t25, etc)? and what application each is best for? thanks

The major pros and cons of any charger only really comes with the engine that it is bolted too. The t3/t4 is a hybrid turbo that uses a t3 turbine housing (smaller lighter wheel, quick spooling) and a t4 compressor housing. This turbo is well suited for the B-series engines because it is has a quick spooling of a t3 turbo and higher flow characteristics of a t4 turbo. This turbo has a lot of potential. The T-25 is a smaller turbo that would be well suited for a single cam motor or lower output twin cams. The TD04 like delsol said is a good turbo for the single cam as well. It is compairable to a T-25.

There are also differant trim levels for each turbo. The A/R size (area/radius) greatly effects the spool time and overall flow. I currently have a T3/T4e garret turbo. It is good up to about 400 whp. The turbo i'm considering getting soon is a T3/T60-1.

The most important thing is to match the turbine to the CFM flow on the engine. Here is a good link to do that. turbo calculator