View Single Post
Old 10-31-2002, 02:37 PM   #102
spoogenet

I didn't think Ram Air truly worked at such low speeds, thanks for adding that bit Teg.

00 Si....aka Mr. .....

WHAT IS YOUR POINT? I ask it in as nice a way as possible while still yelling in all caps. Are you trying to say that higher displacement always has higher power? If so, then you truly don't understand anything about engine design. Let's take an extreme approach.....two engines, each have the same block and displacement, same pistons, rods, cams, valves, valve springs, throttle bodies, heads, plugs. Which one makes more power than the other? It's undeterminable until considering the intake and exhaust manifolds, timing, A/F ratio, and a few other things. That is kinda where the technology changes the power of any given engine. Of course by changing pistons, cams, heads, and other things then the engines are capable of even more or less power than they come with stock even while maintaining the exact same displacement.

Oh, and you can't fairly compare F1 cars to normal cars....they don't run on gasoline like you and me can buy at the local Chevron or something. If you really want to open the door, I'll argue that my daddy's F15 produces more thrust than your daddy's Civic Si. W00t!!!!!

Assumption: All blocks are capable of handling extraordinary amounts of power.

That assumed, one can conclude that the theoretical maximum power output of an engine is proportional to its displacement, thus higher displacement engines are always capable of more power than smaller displacement engines. This does not mean that the actual power output will be proportional to displacement. Actual vs. theoretical is a very different ballgame.

I will give this one its own line:

Theoretical maximum power is determined and limited by physics and mechanics whereas actual power is determined and limited by engineering and manufacturing.

b