View Single Post
Old 10-23-2002, 10:06 AM   #94
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike98Neon
[b]And if you do go nitrous, then the nozzles can be mounted just about anywhere. Trust me, I've seen some wacky combinations.
Well not true. I stated direct port nitrous. The nozzles are mounted into the intake runners themselves.

Quote:
An intake manifold isn't terribly critical for everyday driving, that's why the R/T and ACR neons have an aluminum one (as shown) and all the DOHC neons for the 1st gen have them as well, for higher performance, and someone is more likely to modify an ACR or R/T then say an ES neon. Even some of the early SOHC neons came with a cast aluminum manifold. And the neons as well have the throttle body attached to the manifold. The manifold doesn't move, why would it be critical then?
Plastic also retains heat better than metals. Meaning the intake charge will be hotter.
The intake manifold itself doesn't move. The engine does. Granted the composite is probably strong enough to take the jolts.
Quote:
Need proof that the exhaust manifold in front is not a wonderful idea? Imagine an engine as an air pump. The more efficiently air is inducted, then expelled, the more power you can create. So in looking at a Honda engine, the exhaust is in the front, this makes the expelled gasses have to travel farther and with more bends. More bends, slow the air down creating additional backpressure. Too much backpressure is a bad thing, too little is also bad. Another point. The catalytic converter is located very close to the intake system on a Honda, that means hotter air, and as we all know, Cooler air combusts better.
Still not buying it. The cat is not located near the intake on Civics.

The intake very far from the cat. The cat is located around underneath the floorboards.