View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 09:24 PM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

It's probably a combination of things.

The lower end Kenwood stuff is rated at a max ouput. This is usually taken at a fairly high THD in order to make small numbers look bigger- similar to how auto manufacturers rate power output at the crank, not the wheels. I have seen the birth certificates- a 600 watt Kenwood amp with a birth certificate saying 632 watts. My Kicker amps, on the other hand, have impressive birth certificates. My ZR360s have birth certificates showing output at 552 and 584 watts, out of an amp rated at 360 watts. My ZX460 shows output of 52 watts per channel (rated at 30), all taken at relatively low THD. Why do they do this? The Kenwood amp is rated high to impress consumers with higher numbers, and the Kicker amps are rated low so they can compete in a lower power class. I'd put a Kicker Resolution amp toe to toe with any Kenwood amp (Excelon included) rated at twice the output anyday.

Also, he may be running a lower impedence than you are. If you're running at 4 ohms, your potential output drops to 300 watts, max, and probably around 150 max rms. Check your wiring, and see if it can be redone to a lower impedence still within the amp's tolerances.

Finally, displacement. The cone area of the two subs is very close- 100 sq in for the 10" L5, compared to 113 sq in for just about any 12" round sub. The difference is that the L5 has more linear travel, displacing more air. Think about it like a car: the cone area is the bore, the stroke is the linear travel. The L5 has a higher displacement, which makes it louder.

Also consider other variables like box design, vehicle characteristics, etc.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote