View Single Post
Old 08-19-2002, 05:56 PM   #11
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

There's a trade off here.

If you run a higher impedence, it will be easier on the amp. However, you're gonna have to turn the gains up higher to compensate, which is harder on the amp.

If you run a higher impedence, the subs will run cleaner. But you'll have to turn up the gains to compensate, which results in less clean sound.

That's why I don't subscribe to the higher impedence school of thought. In the end it's paying for power you're not using. And if I'm gonna do that anyway, I'm just gonna turn down the gain.

I have a buddy at a shop who told me when I was there yesterday that the W7 does not get a warranty of any kind. It's because dumbasses are gonna bump the hell out of them, and they're gonna blow. They're gonna try and run it with a 500 watt Rampage amp with the gains maxed out, and it'll fry. And JL knows it. I'd do the same thing if I were JL.

Haven't "tested" an IDMAX, but I heard it- incredible. It was also being run by its own Zapco Comp 9.0, so it's really unfair to say.

The car- I need something I can take to the mountains. I've been skiing and hiking a lot lately, and my dropped suspension isn't taking too kindly to it. Potential possibilities: 3.2 TL Type S, Pilot, WRX, Tacoma, or a Durango (e-GAD!!! An American car!!!). I'm not gonna worry about it too much until after my car is gone.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote