View Single Post
Old 07-12-2002, 08:52 AM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
The Jetta used to be offered with the VR6, which was pretty sweet, but the guys at the dealer told me that they're not offering the VR6 in the Jetta anymore.
You can still get the VR6. Not sure what dealer you went to, but you might look elsewhere.
Quote:
Basically the Jetta will have two engines, an underpowered I4 and the 1.8T with 150hp, I believe.
Underpowered? Not hardly. 180HP in the new 1.8T. Up 30HP from last year.
Quote:
If she wants a little more power, then tell her to get the Turbo S bug....it's got a 1.8T with 180hp, IIRC.
Beetles are evil. Nuff said.
Quote:
I think VW still uses cast iron blocks, although they're heavy as hell, they can handle the power. There are TONS of mods out for VW's. Easiest would probably be to add a chip, I think that can buy you quite a bit of power, and probably doesn't cost too much.
They aren't that heavy. The Jetta 1.8T weighs in at 3155lbs. Not too horrible for a 4 door. And the chips work wonders on the 1.8T. You'll get more gains from a VW than you will from a Honda (not just chips, just about any mod).
Quote:
The new VW's seem to be very well designed and made cars. I was very impressed with them when I went looking around, and they give you a lot of bang for your buck. They are also good looking. When I started doing research I came up with way too many complaints about them, so that kept me from buying one. I wanted a Honda anyways.
Every manufacturer has complaints. I won't lie, VW doesn't rank real high. Honda beats them by miles in the service dept. area.

Anyhow, I've been looking the new VWs for quite a while. In fact I may go test drive a Jetta tonight. I don't normally like 4dr cars, but I love the Jettas for some reason. The GTIs aren't to shabby either.
I say get a VW. If she's not doing much with it she may not need/want a VR6 or the 1.8T. She could always get the base 2.0.