View Single Post
Old 02-24-2002, 09:23 PM   #80
Trixta6

Well, guess it's my turn. I only read the 1st page of posts, & got kinda impatient so I don't know what all the rest of the threads are about.

Here's my answer to the original question.

Welcome to the board man. This is the tecnique I used when I was learning to ride a moto soo many years ago. It applies to cars pretty well too.

First thing.... Don't pay ANY ATTENTION to the tach. I know that sounds backwards, but instead of using the clock as a tool to tell you when to shift, use your ASS as the primary tool. Learn to feel the car before you learn to read it pretty much.

From a stop:
Without even TOUCHING the gas let the clutch out to where you can feel it engage & get used to that point of pedal travel. From that point progressivly let the clutch out & feed the gas in nice & smoothly. Once the car is moving around 2-3 MPH it's most likely safe to let the clutch out all the way & accelerate.

Shifting without Nose dive:
OK, while rolling in gear, find the Disengagment point of the clutch & again remember that point of pedal travel.

To shift, KEEP ON the gas & start depressing the clutch, LET OFF the gas at the same time the clutch reaches the disengaged point. Then shift to your next gear.

Letting out the clutch after gear change (econo) :
Once you're in the next higher gear, without giving it ANY gas... Slowly & smothly let out the clutch. Once the clutch has been feathered in the first 1/3 of the way, let it all the way out & give it gas.

Letting out the clutch after gear change (race type) :
In this type of shifting, you wanna blip (rev) the engine to match RPM with tranny speed before letting out the clutch. With this method, usually you blip then aggressivly let out the clutch & accelerate. But typically, this is used for down shifting.

Once in the higher gears, you can shift & the inertia of the car & slightly faster movments should do just fine.

Before you know it, you'll be tearin ass like the other guys on the streets. Just remember: Fast isn't fast... SMOOTH is fast.