View Single Post
Old 02-17-2002, 08:21 PM   #62
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jacks

But doesn't the engine still need to draw more gasoline to mantain the higher rpm's ... even though I'm not pressing on the gas, wouldn't an engine running 3500 rpms without the gas pedal, burn more gas than running at 1500 rpms, once again without the gas pedal????

And is it Ok to keep the clutch in? ? ? I have a funny habit of just keeping the clutch in all the time.. Like I'll wanna Slow down to turn, I'll put the clutch in, Put car in nuetral (keep clutch in) brake for the turn (clutch still in) make the turn (clutch still in) Pick new gear (clutch still in) and then I'll press gas and let go clutch at same time ???

Dude, think about it for a second, why would you need gas to raise the rpms, when the inertia of the car in relation to the bigger gear (lower -- downshit), would have that same effect.

Here's an example, a wheel with a 9cm diameter is spinning , 360° rotations, spins at 9X. Another wheel, 6cm, is geared (attached) to the bigger one, however the smaller one rotates at 6X to accomplish the same 360°. Now a huge wheel, 12cm, rotates at 12X to achieve the 360° rotation.. In this example, bigger wheels symbolize lower gears, like in most gearing systems.

Were you able to catch any of it??

If you keep the clutch completely in, without in and out motion, its fine.. Thats pretty much how I drive..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote