View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
blind34_1

I would say I am very familiar with MS products, desktop and server. Networking is what my degree is in and I'm nuts about it, and hardware is probably my top favorite, and still the MS cert exams scare the shit out of me. Just reading the practice exam questions in my textbooks (yes, I took the classes that are supposed to prepare you for them: HAHA is all I have to say about those classes), and I tried ones online. For me, they were so ridiculously hard I have zero desire to take them unless it is a requirement for the job. I am more interested in getting my CCNA, because my current company is jonesing for people with it (NOBODY has one, and we do TONS of network support, installations, etc. we all just have our own knowledge and experience to go off of).

In your case Steve, I would recommend the CompTIA exams. There are a ton of them, and they are relatively easy. Network+ is probably as simple as you could get. Very basic concepts. I have yet to take it, however, several people at my level said the test was very easy, studying more than "a little bit" is not necessary.

A+ will actually be a little harder, due to the bullshit questions. I have little problem with the hardware questions, but from what I hear they are still asking questions about win95. I didnt do AS well on the practice software portion.

There is also a Linux+ exam, but I dont feel confident enough with the obscure command line options.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote