View Single Post
Old 02-02-2002, 03:30 AM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

The problem with the slushbox isn't that it eats up power, it's that the gear ratios are longer. As for losing to the EX, chalk it up to the fact that he's got shorter gear ratios and a lighter car. Don't get disheartened.

You've reached what I call "The Great Crossroads" in building up a car, and early on. You need to come to the realization that the car will never be fast without a major investment. Bolt ons may supply a little additional torque, but you'll never get the power you're looking for out of them. So you have to choose: Major investment in modification, major investment in another car, or live with what you got.

If you go with modification, realize that the gear ratios of an automatic will make it extremely difficult to build a fast car the all motor route- I'd go turbo.

As for learning to drive stick- don't look at it as a time investment. The learning curve isn't as steep as you may have been led to believe. The beginning may be a little rocky, but you'll get it in no time. Just be sure to leave home 5 minutes early, and leave yourself an extra car length between you and the car in front of you at the stoplight.

The worst thing about car shopping is that it really is a pain in the ass. Don't get me wrong- I thoroughly enjoy it, but the actual point of purchase and dealing with some of the chimps that sell cars for a living (no offense to any car salesmen here) is about as painless as being beaten to death with my own arms.

So how important is going fast to you? Worth about $4,000? Worth dealing with cro-magnons peddling used cars? It may look like a long, dark road right now, but will it be worth it when you've got that shiny new GS-R in the driveway, or when the blow off valve hisses as you take out the third Mustang that day? Or does it all seem like a little too much trouble, and dealing with stop and go traffic with the aid of your automatic suddenly doesn't sound so bad?

Decision time...
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote