View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 04:19 PM   #18
Incubus

Keep in mind VTEC only kicks in when you hit the upper reaches of RPM's, and most of your useful hp and torque are in the mid-range, which is the saving grace of the Integra LS engine.
I have test driven a few different VTEC cars, namely the GSR and the new Preludes. I almost was gonna trade my LS in for either a GSR or a Type R, but when I test drove the GSR, I didn't even notice when it crossed over into VTEC, it just felt as if the engine was a bit more beefy in stock trim than mine was.

Once I slammed some mods on my LS, it felt just the same as the GSR. The prelude I actually felt the VTEC crossover, as all of a sudden the engine's pitch went up.
I can sometimes tell when VTEC kicks in on cars next to me, sometimes not, that's how I usually tell if someone is trying to race me, because I'll hear the VTEC crossover and take notice. It isn't always noticeable on all cars though.

Top end horsepower is kick ass, but that's all it is, top end, it's the end of the line. It's nice to know where your car stands on the top end, but the most useful power is midrange. Don't get me wrong, you want your top end to be better than your midrange, but you need good hp and torque throughout the entire powerband.