Thread: New computer
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
blind34_1

If she is wanting a basic computer, able to handle Office tasks, and get on the Internet, then a Dell will probably be fine for her. As much as I hate saying Dell is okay, in this case and for certain people, a Dell is fine. A Vaio is a nice machine, but the cost will be more than she wants.

If her reasoning for getting a Dell is because its "upgradeable" and "great tech support" she needs to reevaulate her decision. Limited upgradeability and subpar tech support.

I looked over Dell's budget PC, the Dimension 3000. This is a classic example of a disposable PC:

- uses SDRAM, and only two banks of it at that. regular SDRAM is old, and upgrading will be far more expensive than if you were using more CURRENT memory technology (184 pin DDR400, for example)

- No space in the case. It has two 5.25" bays, and two 3.5" bays. Your floppy drive takes one 3.5, and an optical drive takes one 5.25. The hard drive will take the remaining 3.5, leaving one 5.25 bay free for upgrading. You COULD add another hard drive in this space, with an adapter. Dell will likely just try to sell you a bigger hard drive.

- 3 pci slots and no agp. you cant add a decent video card if you want to.

You don't want this model. Its cheap for a reason. I looked at the next one up, the 4700. Its a little better:

- it has a newer motherboard, supporting pci-express. It allows for a new videocard also (pcie x16).

- has an extra bay for a hard drive.

- the memory still sucks. Its just as fast as DDR400, buts its still using old SDRAM, making upgrades more expensive than they should be.

The 8400 seems to be the best, but they all suffer from old memory.

Other things to consider about Dell:

- their tech support sucks. I bet if you call (assuming you dont get put on hold for a day), you'll get some guy over in India with a thick accent. They are very smart, but its unlikely they will be able to fix your problem anyway. Never actually used them, but I've heard the horror stories.

- this just scares me: Dell`s warranty specifically states, "Dell uses new and reconditioned parts made by various manufacturers in performing warranty repairs and building replacement products." This policy (an accepted practice industry-wide) results in the customer receiving quality parts and components which are thoroughly tested prior to shipment.

^^ this means they sell you crap that has already failed once, they tested it, its works now, so they repackage it and sell it to you as refurbished or recertified. I had one drive that was "recertified" and it worked for about a day. The next day I heard the click of death; paperweight.

- there are no local shops to send in your machine when it needs warranty work. They'll make you try to troubleshoot the problem first, then they will "arrange" to have it sent in. This means you wont have your computer for awhile, and the possibility of damage in shipping.

--

Dell does have some of the best flat panel monitors (and they give you free upgrades to bigger ones) plus they give you all sorts of free shit (printer comes to mind.) not too bad.

Components will fail, its just a matter of time. You have to consider how hard its going to be to get Dell to replace it, and how bad they are going to ream you on price. (even IF its under warranty)

If I didnt know how to build my own system, I would look around town and in the phone book for companies that build custom machines. If they are worth their salt, they will be willing to sit down with you and figure out what you need., They will warranty their work, plus let you take advantage of manufacturer warranties if a component fails. Plus they are local, so if there is a problem, you go see them about it.

Make sure you get WinXP PRO, and don't bother with the Wordperfect they bundle. See if you can get that taken off, and you might save some cash. (I have a "special" version of Office 2003 you can have, let me know)

Last edited by blind34_1 : 03-01-2005 at 11:31 AM.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote