View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #88
AzCivic

Quote:
Contemplation is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. So what if we contemplate things? It doesn't make them true. I can contemplate that god is really a metaphor for aliens who came here in space ships and created us. Does that make it true? No...but there's about as much evidence to support it as any other creation/evolution theories.

it still points to a higher level of intelligence, one that actually wonders where we came from and where are we going, rather than just, i'm hungry, i'm tired, i gotta poop.

Quote:
Personally, I would prefer not to be made in god's image. If you read the bible, it makes it seem like god loves us infinitely, but if you fuck up once and don't repent it's your ass in the afterlife. It's like he's a prankster. According to the bible, he gives man free will and instincts...then sets the rules in opposition. Be fruitful and multiply...but no sex before marriage or with birth control. He puts things in front of you that you are inately programmed to want, but expects you not to partake. To quote "The Devil's Advocate", "Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste...don't swallow. And while you're jumping from one foot to the next, he's laughin' his sick fuckin' ass off". Ok..maybe not that last part (it's part of the quote, but debateable), but that's basically the way I feel religion works. Deny ALMOST EVERY instinct you have and you'll be accepted. It's bullshit.

so you think if you're a true believer and have complete faith and you happen to steal something during a long stretch of bad times then your instantly doomed to hell until you repent? thats not how it works. but if you were to steal something and you were a true believer something inside of you would make you feel bad for what you did, and make you want to repent anyway.

yes there's rules(birth control NOT being one of them) but isnt it funny how those rules, if followed, keep you out of alot of trouble? "no sex before marriage" keeps you from getting someone who you really don't care about pregnant, also could keep you from getting some funky disease. again its not as if you happen to have sex before marriage, that your doomed to an eternity in hell. god is not out to get you.

and adam/eve's complete diet and cookbook was not in the bible so really what the point in discussing it?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote