View Single Post
Old 09-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #13
thermal
Banning Machine

On 6th gen civics, there are 2 things tapped into the air duct or the intake piping that you have now:
1) IAT sensor (intake air temperature sensor)
2) PCV tubing which causes an eductor effect when the motor is running.

If you now have a some sort of intake system, like a cold air or short ram, all you have to do is do the same by having those 2 things installed on the intake section.

This is how mine is hooked up. Notice that the intake section (the section where the air filter is) has a black clip (IAT sensor) and a tubing connected to it (the PCV tubing). This is a typical way of solving that problem. Even the turbo kits for 6th gen civics are hooked up this way. I originally didnt have a tap for the IAT since my turbo kit is for a 5th gen civic. I made the modification myself.

It doesnt have to be this way. I have seen turbo systems on Honda where the IAT is tapped securely on the charged pipe next to the TB. It will be easier to have it on the intake section and I think is more helpful to ECU's fuel calculation since ECU's do look for the air temp as an input to fuel management..... but if you go Hondata, it will manipulate that reading anyway..... The diffrence, if stock ECU is used, will obviously be the actual temp. Turbos are compressors. When air is compressed, physics dictates that air will get hot. If the IAT is placed by the TB, it will read a hotter air temperature than atmospheric, therefore fuel management suffers.

Remember this:

If all possible minimize rubber connectors. Try having as much areas of the turbo piping welded. Rubber connectors raises the chances of boost leaks. Depending on boost level, connectors may even come off. It used to do it to me....

Keep in mind that dissimilar metals will cannot be welded together, unless "brazing" is applied vice welding. Brazing is expensive tho and not as strong. If you want to use the intake system you have right now for any turbo piping, the only way that you can butt them together is through rubber connectors. I know that most intake short ram or cold air systems are made of aluminum piping. Aluminum and metal cannot be welded together.... aluminum welding is also expensive.

Later man....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote