View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 03:42 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Ok this is really very simple (So I gather)

On your p/s rack there are 2 lines (pressurized and return)
All you need to do is remove the hard lines there, loop the holes w/ some fittings, place a T in the loop and w/ the third line connect a vented canister.

Some just say "loop the lines". Well the problem w/ that is now youre fighing the fluid-filled pressured rack. This will make the steering much more physically demanding than standard manual rack. With a vented canister (any canister w/ a ventable cap - punch a hole in something) will allow air to get in and make it easier to move (if youre worried about debris getting in just add a nylon (pantyhose) screen on the cap vent...but the hole should be only as large as a pushpin tip).

Doing this, you can remove the entire p/s pump, brakets, reservoir (you could use the stock reservoir as your cansiter (just poke a hole in the cap). If I remember right all that stuff weighs 10+ lbs (thats w/ fluid). So that mad jdm weight reduction!

Now, you will need to leave some fluid in the rack (I guess fill it to the bottom of your canister).
After you loop and T the line, turn the steering wheel side to side and fluid will shoot out. "Like a whale blowhole" Ive read.
Whats left is probably enough...if you feel like its not, just add a little. If you fill the canister it will shoot out again. You just want enough fluid to keep the rack and seals lubricated.

This is all information that I have gathered. I have NOT tried this - only plan to. So if you try it dont get upset if I cant fully answer your specific questions. I will take pics of the parts if you guys want.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote