Thread: ADM vs Pentium
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 03:39 PM   #53
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbear
[b]Listen, overclocking is like turboing a stock motor. I overclocked my celeron 1 gig a while back. It bent over and took it in the ass, but I blew my motherboard. I'm now running a p4 2.4ghz on a soyo p4x400 dragon platinum edition mb.

You'd have to understand chips in general and binary to understand the AMD x P4 argument. See P4's have a math coprocessor. This allows it do to complex math MUCH faster than an AMD, not to mention the fact that windows is built to work with intel CPU's, since ALL computer processing is math and a hybrid combination of AND and OR logic statements.
This is untrue. Every Pentium, AMD and even Cyrix CPU produced since the 486dx has included a “math coprocessor”. They provide hardware for floating-point math, which otherwise would create an excessive drain on the main CPU. Math chips speed your computer's operation only when you are running software designed to take advantage of the coprocessor. All the subsequent fifth and sixth generation Intel and compatible processors (such as those from AMD and Cyrix) have featured an integrated floating-point unit (if you have ever benchmarked you cpu then you will see a spot for FPUs.), although the Intel ones are known for having the best performance.
In order for the math processor to be of any use the software has to be able to realize its there and be able to take advantage of it.

Quote:
Games get better performace [if you really believe that, I believe that is more about your RAM and video card, I'll explain] AMD also calls it the AMD XP 2400+ and it's only rated for like 2.0ghz, search more online for details about that.
I do agree with you about the ram and video card.

And AMD calls them that, because its using a PR rating system. The 2400+ is supposed to perform as well as if not better than the p4 2.4. And so on up the line ie: xp1700 is equal to or better than the p4 1.7.

The reason AMD can hang with the p4 even though the p4 has a much higher mhz rate, is because the AMD performs more operations per clock cycle. The p4s performs around 7 operations clock per-cycle and the AMD performs around 13 instructions per-cycle. So you can see why the AMD is actually as fast if not faster than the p4. Even though the p4s mhz is much higher.

Quote:
Games do not use math anyway. I know that may seem contradictory, but small consoles like game boy can't handle the math. Programmers of games use a trick called bit shifting. See multiplication could take several processor cycles to compute. Addition and memory commands take one cycle.

ycoordinate * 6

that may take several cycles to compute. But if you shift binary bits, once to the left halves the number and once to the right doubles the number. 100 =1 | 010 = 2 | 001 = 4. So break down ycoordinate * 6 into it's binary factors.

[>> means shift bit to the right, << means left, it's actually reversed because binary is backwards, but I don't want to confuse you]
6 = 011, y = 3 or 110
3*6 = 18

6 in exponents of two = 2^1 + 2^2. y*6 therefore equals
(110 = 3)
(110>>1) + (110>>2)
+01100
+00110
=01001
= 18!!!
TADA!!! no multiplication involved
Im not a programmer, so your probly right about that
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote