View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 08:37 AM   #49
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by silver
ok, having read through all of this 3 times(thanks to both of you, i now want my 25 minutes of wasted life back). you both have said the exact same things over and over. with the exception of the previous flaw that i posted on, both of you are correct.

tengoku-don't use f1 cars as a comparison, a 10 cylinder 3 liter motor compared to a 4 cyl 1.6 liter motor is a different ballgame with absolute opposite tuning ideas behind them. i understand your analogy but you need to compare apples to apples to make it viable. plus your knowledge of turbos and their affect affects on a honda motor do not seem to be that great, generalizing a 13 sec car by putting on a turbo is not how things work, you should know that.

az-business as usual for you your remark about the b and d16s and their cr was pretty much addressed by him though earlier when he stated the comparisons between equal motors with different b/s ratios. and you're correct about the longer stroke idea, since the cylinder is always further down the cylinder at the same given crank position less cylinder pressure at moderate speeds its volumetric efficiency is excellent, giving killer tq numbers.

i was waiting for someone to hit on the volumetric eff. but it didn't happen. short r/s ratios at high rpms cause the mentioned high piston speeds, causing poor airflow due to the lack of time to fill the cylinder, so that is why a high r/s ratio is wanted.

now i think the question is about tq right? first off i want to know where you're getting your h22's from cuz when we dynoed my friends h powered hatchback, it put down 160whp and 134lbs/tq, it was a 98 motor with 22,000 miles on it, us spec, bone stock. after i dynoed an rsx type-s with around 800miles on it, i got 168whp and 124lbs/tq. doesn't look as impressive with real world numbers does it? this reminds me of the arguments regarding putting a vg30dett into a silvia.

as for saying that tq is a direct proportion to the stroke, it's not, it's just the easier way of building the motor. you spoke of dimensions and yes it's a dimensions game. by adding to the stroke, you are adding merely height to the motor, while by adding bore you must multiply that by the number of cylinders causing the motor to get wide really fast.

it's 5:10am i'm tired. good night guys

Ok I did contradict myself. Oops. I dont care anymore to tell u the truth. He talkes about D16 and the B16 and comaring them. Problem is that they only make 5 ft pounds of torque difference and they are two totally different engines. I am not going to talk about the differences in the engines as well as the flaws in his research. If it makes him feel good thats fine. I admit I didnt say things as clearly as I meant too. OOps sorry. U admitted that u knew what I was getting at just wasnt explaining it correctly. As far as the H22 figures goes it sounds as if the H22 u put on the Dyno was an H22a1. The H22a1 makes 190 HP at the flywheel, and supposedly 161 Ft pounds of torque at the flywheel. Most of the H22's make 190 to 200 hp with the exception of the JDM H22A Type S, USDM H22A4 Type SH, and the USDM H22A? Type S engine. Those engines make 220 HP, and of course the same torque figures. The figures that u got would seem fairly accurate with the H22a1. I would love to go with the new Acura RSX engine. Too bad they cost way too much, and the engine spins the wrong way and so its not really compatable with 6th gen and lower Civic's (dont get me wrong it can be done, I just dont think it should be).

So maybe I am shooting too high but only time will tell. I guess that other guy is really against H series engines or something. Human nature is to fear what u really dont know. Anyways thats his problem and I really dont care. The shipping company that is sending me the H22, isnt open till the 5th and they will ship it sometime after that. It will take a bit of time to put this in the car, and eventually I will dyno it, and we will all see. IF I get the JDM H22A Type S engine (like I am supposed to) I was shooting for 200 WHP, and 140 Ft-pounds of torque at the wheels. All the mods I will be putting on this car is i/h/e, 7.5 pound flywheel, clutch, cam gears, A.T.B. LSD, coilovers, 16" OZ superleggras....
WIth drag radials this should be good for somewhere in the mid 12's, and somewhere in the mid 13's or possibly lower on normal street radials.