View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003, 03:49 PM   #56
CorradoFan

Quote:
Originally posted by ford50forlife
thats cool... i love the 1.8's chip intake and catback have netted some 13's off the rip... the g60 on the other hand ive never quite been impressed with the times they pull, and btw i thought chips for veedubs were expensive?

u telling me a cam, charger pully, chip, and fpr is <500

Yep. You can get a "stage IV" kit for a g60 motor for about $500, and that will include a chip, cam, fpr, pulley, and some other good stuff too. That'll put you at maybe 180 hp at the wheels, and the other $500 in stuff will get you near 200.

Considering that these cars dyno at about 135 hp to the wheels stock, IMHO 65 whp for a grand isn't too bad.

Tons of people are not impressed by the g60 motor, in a way it's too bad - very understandable though, there's *very* little information about them available, yet there's an incredibly fanatical almost underground following for them. They're potent in the right hands, but take some special knowledge and care that the average VW guy wouldn't have.

Edit - and the other big reason why people don't know a lot about g60's is that they've really only taken off in the last few years. 3 out of the 4 current most important g60 tuners didn't exist two years ago.