View Single Post
Old 12-05-2001, 09:27 PM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ok, i 100% agree that vtec isnt gonna pull you back from loosing to a v8, but what vtec does do, is alows for your engine to have 2 separate power bands, one for low rpm's and one for high. vtec is however noticable on my car, i dont care what u think of me for saying this, or if you belive me or not, but if i set my crossover point at 4700rpms, theres a slight sound engaging, and a tiny bit harder pull, because im engaging at a spot where the 2 power bands are close together, try setting vtec engagment to 5800, its a kcik when the upper lobes engage. i know vtec being bad for turbos is a mith, or at least for street cars, because i know many many people who run turboed vtec np. vtec may or may not be hondas gift to the automotive world, but it is nice, i think that it does a good job at what is is designed to do, like you said, good gas milage in lower rpms, and good performance in upper. on a stock engine vtec isnt too noticable, but after a full exaust from headers back, and intake, it can be herd and felt. friends next to me have herd it while racing. you cannot tell me that after hitting vtec your car dosnt pull harder, well a n/a engine, i know turbos have different powerbands. i agree with some of what u say, but saying vtec is a trend, and that it isnt any noticable power? sorry, no comprehendo there. like mentioned, 160hp 2.3 vs. a 190 hp 2.2 or a 140hp 1.8 vs a 170 or190hp. im not a vtec follower or anything, but the numbers do speak for themselves.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.