Thread: Air Intake
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2001, 12:39 PM   #17
delsolguy

The new AEM is not SS, it's just polished, and then clear coated.

AEM also redesigned their filter. They no longer use K&N, however they now went the way of Injen and RS Akimoto by using a "funnel" effect in their filter. Basicallly it makes the air flow better when leaving the filter. I have no idea how this will help hp (because of the funnel thing) or hurt hp (by not using K&N).

Two other intakes that weren't mentioned...Injen and Comptech. The Injen CAI seems to make more hp than AEM overall. I've seen a few charts that show this, but I'll post this one, because it offers a nice comparison between the AEM, Injen, and Comptech.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...e=0&re s=high

Notice how the Injen outperforms the AEM all the way up to about 4300 rpm, and again from about 5400 all the way to redline (pretty much...).

The last intake to mention is the Comptech Icebox. Yes, it is more expensive, but the appearance, unique-ness, and low-end are certainly something to consider. Check out the low-end performance. Also, the Comptech stays close with the CAIs on the top-end as well, only making 1-3 hp less.

Are you concerned with low rpm power, or high?

That dyno chart is straight from Comptech, so take it with a grain of salt...but I still think it's a decent representation of the performance of the intakes. Also, it's an ITR, but oh well.

If you aren't a fan of manufacturer-provided dyno charts, here's a comparison of the Icebox and AEM. This one is a little more accurate I think...