View Single Post
Old 02-21-2003, 08:56 PM   #1
HondaTypeJ

Please read this...SERIOUS!

I posted this a while back, months and months ago. I think it should be read amongst you guys again. Please take it seriously: Whats up. OK, here is a story that made me pretty sad and makes me re-think about street racing. As you all know (or maybe you don't), I am an Emgergency Medical Technician and work for American Medical Response. Anyway, I was working the graveyard shift last night, and as my partner and I are driving along in our rig, we get a call. "EMS unit 12 respond to 1425 Fairfax blvd. Possible TC (traffic collition), no other information given, response code 3". So off we go and our ETA is about 5 min. As I come up to the scene in the distance I see 3 import racers (2 Hondas and and Integra). One Honda went head on into a street lamp pole. The other Honda hit up on the curb and slammed into a local business (a wall, not glass), and the Integra slammed right into the back of a parked car. So as I am comming up to the scene I am thinking, "Dude, we have a triage situation here." And I had never responded to a triage call before...everything that I knew about it was taught and trained to me. So I get out (after calling for addition units and advanced life support) and my partner tells me to check on the Honda that hit the business (it looked the worse), I get over there and I have 2 passengers. 1 female and 1 male aprox. 17-18. After checking vitals, etc I called for my partner over to help me with spinal immobilization. After getting them set, I ask my partner about the other cars, he tells me "They are both empty." I was like "what?" Aparently the other Honda and Integra bailed. I went over and checked the inside of the Honda, looking for a clue to maybe associate with an injury. There was an amount of blood on the seats and dash, but that was about it. This is all happening in about a 10 min period (we were working fast). I soon see advanced life support (L.A. City fire Paramedics) and 2 of our own units in the distance. And comming in the other direction are 3 LAPD cruisers. After they all converged on the scene and asked for a stat report, they couldnt believe it...2 patients out of all of this. LAPD called for an air unit and within about 2 min there was one. BTW, the 2 patients that stayed at the scene were VERY lucky. I thought (as I was walking up to the car), I may have 2 DOA patients. Other than a few scrapes, bumps, and bruises they will be ok. As I was making a preliminary report, I checked for tire marks in the road, etc. And sure enough there was some present. We "loaded and go'd" the female patient because her breathing was a concern to us. We didnt want her to go into shock. As I administed oxgen to her, her condition greatly improved (ya, its amazing what a little oxygen will do). I asked her what had happened and she declined to tell me anything except that "it was a stupid F!@king race, and I am sorry I ever got into the car with that ass!@#" She was really scared and what really got to me was, that as we were heading to the hospital, and after a long period of silence after her "explanation" about what happened, she pulled off her O2 mask and asked..."Am I going to die?" I comforted her and told her that she was going to be ok, and that she was lucky. But that statement she said really stayed with me, they was she said it and the look on her face. After turning her over to the ER, we headed back into service and not long after we found out that LAPD had found the driver of both of the other cars that bailed. One was in serious condition when he was found with a severed radial artery. Lucky they found him in time because without treatment he could have bled out and would have gone into shock which would eventually cause him to die. Anyway, that is the story of my LONG night. I am going to hit the sack now and prepare myself for another graveyard shift. BE SAFE OUT THERE! THINK ABOUT IT.