Thread: 93-95 Hatchback
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #6
DjBert

I was pretty much in the same situation as you...

I've got a UK 93 hatchback VTI (i think it's virtually identical to the SiR-II over there?), which has the B16A2 as standard.

I had my mind set on a swap (I had decided on the B18C1 (gsr) over the B18C5 (type-r) for 2 reasons: Cost, and the fact that the B18C1 can take a lot more boost than the type-r engine.

Anway, after speaking to a few people here, it seems my existing engine is very similar in a lot of ways to the gsr engine, obviously it's a 1.6 rather than a 1.8 but very similar in the way it reacts to forced induction etc.

If you're like me and just looking for a very quick street car, i'd buy the cheaper engine (either the B16A1 or B16A2 - i think you can pick these up for about $900-$1000 over there - somebody correct me if i'm wrong) and do some internal work and then turbo (or supercharge) it. Apparently both the B16A2 and B18C1 (not sure about the B16A1) can be tuned up to between 350-400hp! I wasn't aware of this when I was considering a swap and now I don't erally see any point. 350hp is more than enough for me.

So I'd get the cheaper engine, and then spend the extra cash on tuning that, it's more fun than just buying the 1.8 and not having any money to beef that up!