Thread: New System?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #14
Maxvla

haha... 600.

sorry just had to laugh.

trev's got a good layout there. if you just need a good solid graphics card and don't wanna lay out alot of cash i would check into the ti4200s either 64mb or 128mb. either are cheaper than the R9500 and will do a good job on any current game.

if i were you looking to spend about 800 i would go with a tbred based athlon 1700 or better and get a great cpu cooler set then get some nice ddr (not the cheap stuff) and a good KT333 or KT400 board. then with the extra money left over you can decide what you want to do for your HD, vid card, sound card, etc.

for sound i would suggest the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I like my Audigy but drivers are less than stellar. the TBSC should run around 60-70 bucks. HD i would go Western Digital and get as much space as you can afford. the 8mb cache Special Edition drives are nice but do cost a bit more.

do you need a cdrw? dvdrom? any extra stuff?

if you are spending lots of money on a new system you should invest in a good UPS. (Uninterruptible Power Supply) My brand of choice is the APC company. I have a Back-ups CS350 which works great. its got 6 outlets on the back and protection for your phone and lan lines as well. Also has monitoring from your computer. One of these will run around 75-85 bucks depending on where you look. keep in mind these are very heavy so you might consider purchasing them from a local ripoff shop unless you just get a killer deal online and the shipping isn't outrageous. Since i bought mine we've had two lightning strikes very very close to our house and both mine and my dads (6 year old apc) are still running like champs not to mention all the equipment plugged into them.

enough rambling.

Max

ps. if you are shopping on newegg the Chieftec/TurboLink server towers with the 420W power supplies are a great deal. i think they are about 75-80 bucks. I have one on my P4 system with a 66% overclock with no power problems whatsoever.