Thread: New System?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003, 10:23 PM   #12
munky185

I'd definitely shop at newegg. Not only are their prices the best (usually), but their customer service is top notch also. $600 will go a very long ways if you don't need a new monitor. Here's a few pointers (some have already been covered):

1. Go with at least a 400+ watt PSU
2. 512mb DDR ram would be plenty unless you do alot of memory intensive things like rendering with graphics programs, etc.
3. I wouldn't go for the top of the line processor if I were you. If you actually examine what you're paying for, you'll see that you are actually paying a lot more (sometimes hundreds more) for just a few mhz. That's totally not worth it unless you want bragging rights or something like that. More than likely a processor a couple steps down will be A LOT cheaper and provide you with enough speed.
4. If you do a lot of gaming, I'd look into a better than average graphics card. Again, though, high end graphics cards are very expensive, and the gains are sometimes minimal over the next model down.
5. A sound card shouldn't set you back that much. Unless you are an audiophile, a soundblaster audigy would do the trick and doesn't cost much. Order OEM and you save money by receiving the item in a regular box as opposed to a fancy retail box.

That's a few for now. Hope that helps.