HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how to stop a rattling exhaust? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4095)

seanjuan 04-08-2002 01:26 AM

how to stop a rattling exhaust?

here's the situation....
i have a 4dr 92 civic LX
i just put on a thermal R&D stealth cat-back exhaust. i love it and if i ever get another car i will buy that exhaust again. anyway the problem is that the exhaust is a little bit shorter than the stock exhaust and where the exhaust turns and goes the the passenger side of the car it is rattling off the heat sheald. i was thinking that maybe i could get an exhaust place to make an extension piece for me, but i don't know if that would work.

i need to move the pipe at least an inch away from the heat sheald to keep it from rattling so i'm kind of stumped as to what i should to

any suggestions would be much appreciated

thanks

Sean

slowEJ6 04-08-2002 03:12 PM

Re: how to stop a rattling exhaust?

Quote:

Originally posted by seanjuan
i was thinking that maybe i could get an exhaust place to make an extension piece for me.

seanjuan 04-08-2002 04:39 PM

i'm not sure exactly what you intended your reply to be....
are you saying that my best bet is to have an exhaust shop make that peice for me?

Sean

midjjj 04-08-2002 09:27 PM

lol, i just took the bottom of my heat shield off:D
other then that, an extension sounds bout the best.

seanjuan 04-08-2002 09:52 PM

i'm not sure if removing the heatshield would work in my case becuase the pipe is so close to the chasis of the car. but i will try that if i can't get an extension peice made.
the other thing i was thinking of doing was bending the pipe a little so that it goes diagonal through the exhaust channel instead of straight through it
i'm not sure if it's bad to bend the pipes on my own or if there are any tricks to doing it.... but i might try

Sean

Quist 04-09-2002 01:38 PM

the rattle that you are hearing is most likely from rocks getting stuck up on top of the heat shield. You can remove this piece its mostly useless(at least it was in my 90 civic).

civic_north 04-09-2002 01:49 PM

Quist is right, I've taken that heat shield off of my old civic, my two buddies civic and accord. This is a pretty common problem with those cars.

seanjuan 04-09-2002 02:12 PM

thanks for your thoughts, but i'm one hundred percent sure that it isn't rocks. i know that the rattling is coming from the exhaust pipe knocking up against the heatsheild, and more specifically one of the bolts that holds the heat sheild in place

does anyone know of some type of material maybe that i could put between the exhaust pipe and the heatsheild to mute the rattle?

later

Sean

civic_north 04-09-2002 10:31 PM

seanjuan, I don't think it's rocks but I also don't think it will hurt just to take it off......

That's what I wanted to convey earlier.

Civic_North.........Great white north

slowEJ6 04-09-2002 10:38 PM

take it off..... w00t!!!!!!!

midjjj 04-10-2002 12:20 AM

lol at hybrid. I don't think bending the pipes is a great idea. Either bend down your hangars or rip off the heat shield. It's really fun to do if you're angry:D

seanjuan 04-10-2002 01:47 AM

hopefully if i get rid of the heat sheild that will cure it, that is by far the simplest fix, otherwise i'll get creative.
I wasn't thinking about bending the pipes unless it was the only option... it doesn't seem like a very good idea

hey, as long as we are talking about exhaust does anyone know of a good cheap way to get rid of some road noise. i was thinking of pulling the carpet up and puting in a "dynamat like" substance because i'd like it to be as quite as possible inside my car

later guys

Integra221 04-10-2002 11:42 AM

You can probely just get a longer ruber piece that holds the exhaust. Or you could try and stretch out your old one. But its probely a really bad idea to bend your exhaust. And you really dont need that heat shield.

seanjuan 04-10-2002 12:45 PM

hey teg,
my exhaust system is completely bolted together, there are not rubber peices or hose clamps or anything. all the pieces have flanges on them and they bolt together
thanks for the idea though

Sean

seanjuan 04-10-2002 12:48 PM

by the way Teg,
i don't know if i said it before but i'm running a thermal cat-back system as well. It is the best sounding exhaust ever... at least in my mind

later

slowEJ6 04-10-2002 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by seanjuan
i was thinking of pulling the carpet up and puting in a "dynamat like" substance because i'd like it to be as quite as possible inside my car
you can do that.....strip out ALL the interior and lay down the dynamat, time consuming but itd help a lot if you really want to ditch the road noise.

civic_north 04-10-2002 04:25 PM

A louder system and another sub always fixes those noises

Just kidding:D

seanjuan 04-10-2002 04:38 PM

i've got a pretty loud system right now (sounds great at any volume level.... very important)
the pic i have at the bottom of my posts shows a blurry shot of my kenwood deck which i'm going to upgrade this summer to an eXcellon, i've also got a kenwood mono amp in the trunk pushing a Visonik 10" sub

is there any cheap substitute to dynamat, because buying enough of that to cover the whole floor would put me out of house and home(at least of a few weeks)

later
Sean