HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   99si shifting problems (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23516)

IALuder 12-27-2004 06:37 AM

99si shifting problems

I really need your help. As I left the gas station the other day, I found that I was having trouble shifting. For one, when I try and shift, it feels like the shifter is stuck in place, thus making it difficult to pull out of gear. In addition, it is even more difficult to shift into another gear. Having driven this car for quite some time, it doesn't seem as if the clutch is bad. Once I'm actually in gear, the car feels normal. However, the problem is actually getting into gear. I just wanted to know if anyone knows why the gear is "grabbing." I have already changed the transmission fluid, and flushed/replaced the hydraulic clutch fluid. If anyone can help me figure out this problem please let me know. The only thing I can think of is that something is causing the clutch to not disengage properly, and that the clutch may be going bad. I have no experience in this area, and if anyone could give me some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

thermal 12-28-2004 05:05 AM

Possible throw out bearing gone bad.....

IALuder 12-28-2004 06:21 AM

might be. ill check it.

Civic_RedLine 01-04-2005 12:20 AM

Re: 99si shifting problems

Quote:

Originally posted by SFKing
I really need your help. As I left the gas station the other day, I found that I was having trouble shifting. For one, when I try and shift, it feels like the shifter is stuck in place, thus making it difficult to pull out of gear. In addition, it is even more difficult to shift into another gear. Having driven this car for quite some time, it doesn't seem as if the clutch is bad. Once I'm actually in gear, the car feels normal. However, the problem is actually getting into gear. I just wanted to know if anyone knows why the gear is "grabbing." I have already changed the transmission fluid, and flushed/replaced the hydraulic clutch fluid. If anyone can help me figure out this problem please let me know. The only thing I can think of is that something is causing the clutch to not disengage properly, and that the clutch may be going bad. I have no experience in this area, and if anyone could give me some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

You know its common for hondas to have hard shifting problems. I got an 01 civic ex and sometimes it feels hard to put into gear, or are times when I can go to first gear.
Most of all, I hate going into reverse. Gear doesnt fully go to reverse unless I do it hard.

BTW what clutch fluid and where do I buy it.
I just did a transmission oil change and my gears feels way better. It goes into place easy. However, it did not stop the grinding. 2nd gear grinds.

ebpda9 01-04-2005 07:27 AM

did u bleed the clutch correctly ? i know my brother;s nissan did that for a while now, until i changed the slave cylinder because i noticed it was leaking ang getting air too. never had a problem since

VR4_Craver 01-04-2005 08:38 PM

I noticed mine has a prob. too mainly just if I put it in 1st and put it in neutral it fights me to go back into 1st unless I let the clutch out some and the put it in gear.....stupid honda:paranoid:

pdiggitydogg 01-04-2005 09:49 PM

Re: Re: 99si shifting problems

Quote:

Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
Most of all, I hate going into reverse. Gear doesnt fully go to reverse unless I do it hard.

BTW what clutch fluid and where do I buy it.
I just did a transmission oil change and my gears feels way better. It goes into place easy. However, it did not stop the grinding. 2nd gear grinds.

If you roll a tiny bit in 1st gear, before going into reverse, you will not have that problem.

You really should only use manual transmission fluid (MTF). Friction modified mtf will act as a bandaid and remove the grinding for a time. Youve damaged the synchros, more than likely...I know we've talked about this before.

None of this is his problem though.

IALuder 01-04-2005 11:49 PM

replace the throw out bearing, runs damn near perfect. i think the clutch is going out tho. :no: :o

pdiggitydogg 01-04-2005 11:51 PM

just get an exedy oem replacement off ebay then. Theyre cheap enough.
Too bad ya gotta take it all apart again though...

IALuder 01-05-2005 04:46 AM

yup. one big pain in the ass.