HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   For The Geek In You (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   How does this work? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22776)

GT40FIED 09-28-2004 08:02 PM

How does this work?

Ok...so in my ongoing quest to kick the living shit out of all malware on my computer, I downloaded the new Adaware SE 1.05 and ran a scan on my hard drive. Suddenly I've got 300+ hits (on a deep system scan) or 145 in the "smart scan". I think "kick ass...goodbye spyware". Wrong. I got rid of it all, but then everything stopped working. I can't connect to webpages and my internet connection is virtually useless. I can't use Norton's Liveupdate or check for updates on anything that requires an internet connection. Oh...and my Outlook is useless as well. So I did a system restore...but all that did was restore all the spyware as well. So is there any way to get rid of this stuff (most of the hits were multiples from the same vendors...really only about 10 vendors or so, maybe less) and not render my computer useless? It also SIGNIFICANTLY slows down the computer as a whole after the spyware is gone and the system rebooted. Ideas? Suggestions? I'm about ready to do a reformat since I'm so sick of this shit.

IALuder 09-28-2004 09:18 PM

ummm, best idea is to reformat.

ebpda9 09-29-2004 06:23 AM

sometimes the spyware binds to the network protocols and if you try to remove those it will reneder the computer useless. i had that happen to me. you can just have backups of the spyware removed and in case it fucks up you can restore it. I have yet to see a bullet proof way to remove the spyware. it can be done manually, but you really have to know what you are doing.

IALuder 09-29-2004 01:04 PM

one word: REFORMAT

FlooredAccord 10-01-2004 04:24 PM

No need to reformat...yet....but, do a smart scan and remove those objects. Then test your computer for normalcy. If it's ok, leave it, if not, remove all adware and then resetup the internet thing, and reinstall Norton. Do updates for everything. Might take up to 2 hrs.

GT40FIED 10-01-2004 05:01 PM

Ok...how do I resetup my internet settings to get them working again after it fucks up (which it will)?

blind34_1 10-02-2004 02:56 AM

if you've got a copy of your OS, just boot to that, and reinstall windows, but don't reformat. just choose to install over existing OS. What this does is keeps everything the same, but sort of refreshes all the major components of windows.

I did this when I screwed up trying to make a dual boot system. windows wouldn't boot for anything, so i install xp over itself, and everything was fine. all my settings were fine, and my dektop looked the same as before i messed with it. really convenient if your not ready to reformat.

you might want to check microsofts knowledge base for all the details (step by step) on how to do this, as i forgot the details (its not hard, though)

GT40FIED 10-02-2004 05:06 AM

I actually don't have a copy of my OS. It's OEM installed so I'm shit outta luck there.

blind34_1 10-03-2004 12:45 AM

oh thats right....we've had this issue come up before...i forgot.

you really need to get ahold of that...

check your PM's

GT40FIED 10-03-2004 10:10 PM

Ok...update. I contacted Compaq's support site (because Microsoft wants $35 a pop to answer a simple fucking question) and here's what I got. They told me to do a destructive recovery. Basically it won't reformat my hard drive, but it will erase everything put on the computer since I've had it. This seems like a viable option...better than purchasing a new OS and installing it after a reformatting...but I need system recovery CDs to do it. Funny thing...I don't remember getting those when I bought the damn thing either. I could be wrong, though. All of my records and whatnot for the computer are back up in KC. *sigh* I'll have to check next weekend when I get back up there. What a fine mess of shit this all is. A big :flick: to Comp USA and Compaq.

ebpda9 10-04-2004 12:11 AM

screw that and get opera. a lot faster than IE and i never had any problems with it yet. best of all it's free(unless you don't want a banner ad)

GT40FIED 10-04-2004 12:37 AM

And Opera would be...?

ebpda9 10-04-2004 12:40 AM

a nice internet browser.

www.opera.com

blind34_1 10-04-2004 01:16 AM

Screw that and use Mozilla. A lot better than IE and best of all its free (with no banner ads)

...but I've heard Opera is okay too.
Honestly, half his problems aren't with his browser, its just OS rot. happens over time, and just a fact of running windows.