HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Turbo kit question (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20884)

JDMFantasy2k 04-12-2004 05:06 PM

Turbo kit question

Ok i've been pricing out turbo kits and what not and i think i'm definatley going to go with the greddy kit eventually. I also love the fact that it comes with the fuel management controller. My question is that the greddy kit doesn't come with an intercooler and if i were to buy it seperatley it's like a grand. So how much of a difference would the intercooler make? Could i choose to install it later?

ebpda9 04-12-2004 05:26 PM

yup you can. what's the lowest price you found it for ?

AkimboStylee 04-13-2004 02:48 PM

Either go with ^ or check ebay, youd be suprised

Mirkwo0dForest 04-14-2004 05:29 AM

intercooler will get you like 20 HP depending on boost level
good thing to have also
check eBay for intercoolers, you dont have to get the greddy one...

thermal 04-14-2004 06:00 AM

GReddy SOHC turbo is rated at 5.5 psi on stock wastegate setting. At this boost level, you do not need an intercooler based on GReddy r&d. But it will NOT hurt to have one. Anything above 5.5 psi, get an intercooler. Intercoolers are designed to achieve a more efficient combustion. So yes it will help. You can get the intercooler kit later. I have seen the 19T GReddy 6gen SOHC kit. They have made some very drastic changes. The pipings are now aluminum vice steel like the 15G 5gen SOHC kit before. The Type31 intercooler has been redesigned. It is bigger with a more desirable piping route.

As far as the e-manage goes, this is another improvement. The blue box is now obsolete to these kits. The best part is, the GReddy e-manage is controllable by a Profec-E01 boost controller providing the hardware and additional cabling is purchased. THat is not a bad deal. GReddy has always impressed me all their Boost controllers. Now a boost controller and a data logger???? Bad ass!

Do not forget to get a BOV. The kit does not come with it.

sohc_vtec 2NR 04-14-2004 11:58 AM

a greddy intercooler kit is quite pricey or any intercooler kit for that matter, so you could just get yourself a johnnyracecar intercooler and spend another $150 (if that) on the piping/couplers/clamps...

JDMFantasy2k 04-14-2004 01:46 PM

tru, ok so say i just want boost for now, i can turbo my car (via greddy kit) and run about 5 psi. Then once my druglord pays me i can eventualy purchase and install the intercooler and run about 7 or 8 psi conservatively, and up to 10 on stock internals with the right fuel management, right?

thermal 04-16-2004 01:13 PM

The GReddy emanage is now programmable. You can use that for massive boost, provided tuning by an expert is done....

Sivik 04-18-2004 06:20 PM

i paid 680 for my Type 31.

if you have the money, go with Edelbrock... bad ass kit. comes with everything.

Greddy you'll still need BOV and intercooler. search on ebay for IC or johnnyracer is popular. also, check over at honda-tech.com under the sponsor's section. usually there are some cheap IC there. don't boost more than stock setting on the greddy w/o IC.

thermal 04-18-2004 10:24 PM

THere is a groupbuy on intercooler right now at www.homemadeturbo.com. This FMIC is similar to the one I have on my civic... look at my sig

JDMFantasy2k 04-18-2004 10:43 PM

Hey have you guys seen the kits offered by www.city-speed.com ? By far the lowest prices i've seen yet for a greddy turbo kit, intercooler kit, and a combination. Please check it out and tell me what you think because that is a serisous consideration now.

Sivik 04-19-2004 02:16 AM

wow those are cheap prices... damn me for spending more money years ago!

go with them... great prices