HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My LSD is here, my LSD is here (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15915)

AzCivic 06-11-2003 12:49 PM

My LSD is here, my LSD is here(UPDATE: I'm screwed)

Well I finally got my Quaife LSD(would have had it earlier but I was outa town). Also got my ACT HDSS clutch the other day, now I'm just waiting on the flywheel. I'll be taking the lsd and d16y8 tranny to the shop to have the LSD put in and have any other needed maitenance done to it. Then some friends and I will swap out the trannies and put in the new clutch/flywheel, wooohoooo! Cant wait!!!

Next step: Fully rebuilt D series block bored to 78mm(hopefully).

Spitz 06-11-2003 03:22 PM

nice:yes:

nonovurbizniz 06-11-2003 05:26 PM

sweet let us know how it is.

oh and if you don't mind how much it was.

pdiggitydogg 06-11-2003 05:54 PM

:thumbsup:

AzCivic 06-11-2003 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
sweet let us know how it is.

oh and if you don't mind how much it was.

will do.

the LSD itself was $820 shipped, I could have gotten it cheaper but I just wanted it quick. To have it put in the tranny will be $150(with the tranny already off the car).

sohc_vtec 2NR 06-11-2003 09:19 PM

820 + 150 = lots of money!! its way out of my budget (currently)... btw don't forget to tell us how much of a difference it makes..:thumbsup:

02_Si 06-12-2003 04:04 PM

wHAT exactly does a LSD do? is that only for manny tranny?

nonovurbizniz 06-12-2003 05:16 PM

no you can have an lsd in an auto or manual however I don't know if they make them for honda automatics...

an lsd (limited slip differential) sends power to the wheel with the most grip... instead of the path of least resistance...

If you do a burn out in a honda it's a "peg-legged" burnout... because only 1 wheel spins.. this makes for silly looking burnouts and TERRIBLE traction especially if you have a good amount of power mods.

they're very good for traction in a straight line and SOMETIMES around corners... some lsds are WAY to stiff and click around corners... but those are mostly "drag only"... however I've heard that the kaaz does this.

AzCivic 06-12-2003 07:48 PM

Quaife is also supposed to help with the corners as well.

Off theyre website: In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

ebpda9 06-12-2003 08:12 PM

yeah i heard the quaife were the best for cornering. i'm gonna get one for mine as soon my h22 is in the engine bay :yes:

Civcity 06-12-2003 08:20 PM

:bow:

AzCivic 06-12-2003 11:10 PM

well the LSD is in the midst of being installed, tranny is apart and tomorrow it'll be assembled with a brand spankin new Quaife. My stupid Flywheel better get here quick.

wheresmylicense 06-13-2003 02:09 AM

where in relation to the rest of the tranny does the lsd go? and is there already one on the car factory and you're just getting a better one, or was it not there to begin with, and now you're adding it? (sorry to sound dense, but i've never heard of an lsd before)

vick88 06-13-2003 09:31 AM

on fwd cars the lsd(limited slip differential) goes inside the part of the transmission that the cvaxles come out of. i dont believe any honda car (exept for possibly the nsx) has an lsd.

ebpda9 06-13-2003 09:34 AM

some ludes in japan have LSD's and the integra type R's

AzCivic 06-13-2003 10:57 AM

it replaces # 1:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...L+GEAR+%281%29

with the quaife:
http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diffs.htm

nonovurbizniz 06-13-2003 11:46 AM

also... jdm civic type R's and integra type R's have lsds... also usdm itr's have them...

No american production civic has ever had one that I know of... if any the 99-00 si but I don't think so.

All cars have a differential.. SOME have a "limited slip" type differential.. other companies call them different things...

"posi"
"locker"
"Viscous Slip Dif."

there are WAY more but..

go search howstuffworks about them they will probobly give the most comprehensive write up. or just search google.

AzCivic 06-17-2003 05:23 PM

Update: So the other day the guy whos installing my LSD calls me up and says that the LSD is not the right one, that the bearing from the EX tranny is too big. So I figure out the LSD is for a NON vtec engine so I call the people I got from and they get ahold of Quaife and apparantly the one I need is on backorder for at least a month so I call around to a bunch of different places and theyre all saying the same thing. So now I gotta send this one back and get a refund and wait for the people at Quaife to get of their asses and make some more. Maybe I should just get a new car.

nonovurbizniz 06-17-2003 05:58 PM

that sucks nuts...

I was giddy just to hear how it was.

AzCivic 06-17-2003 06:32 PM

yeah it does, so I guess I have to put everything on hold for a month. hopefully a month doesnt turn out to be 3months.

this just really pisses me off, i got the damn money to spend and it just so happens that Quaife runs out of LSD's for my car.