HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics/Sound/Security Systems (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Car keeps on blowing light bulbs (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10507)

ebpda9 12-21-2002 11:00 PM

Car keeps on blowing light bulbs

my car seems to like to burn one of my passanger headlight bullb. no matter how many pairs of bulbs i change the one on the passanger side is the one that likes to go out the first. i even checked the harness for voltage and i found out that for that bulb i have 14.86V. i didn't check the other harness but the battery has the same 14.86V with the engine running. Isn't that a bit too high of a voltage ? Shouldn't it be like 13.6 with the engine running ? any ideas ? Would changing harnesses help prolong the life of the bulbs ?

94_AcCoRd_EX 12-22-2002 12:24 AM

Is the wiring completely stock? 14.9V is a little high I believe, but it shouldn't blow the bulb that fast. How long will a bulb last?

ebpda9 12-22-2002 12:37 AM

yeah all the wireing is stock. the bulbs usually last arund 7-8 months

blind34_1 12-22-2002 01:05 PM

well, maybe a current limiting resistor will help. its current that blows your bulb, not voltage. i'm prolly talking out my arse though

ebpda9 12-22-2002 01:12 PM

as far as i know about electricity is that the bulb is sucking in as much aperage as it needs.

94_AcCoRd_EX 12-22-2002 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blind34_1
well, maybe a current limiting resistor will help. its current that blows your bulb, not voltage. i'm prolly talking out my arse though

Too much of either can be a problem. If you have too much voltage, it will really heat things up and become a problem also.

blind34_1 12-23-2002 04:41 PM

thats true, ah I've been out of school too long!

tooslow91crx 01-06-2003 10:56 PM

voltage= current x resistance. assumig the bulb maintains the same resistance, which lights do not (their resistance changes with their temperature), the current flowing through the bulb would decrease with an increase in voltage. while 14.9 volts is a little high (only about .5V with the engine running), it shouln't be enough to burn out bulbs. check the resistance between the ground wire of the bulb and the negative terminal of the battery (be sure the take the bulb out to isolate the ground circuit). if it's much more than .25 ohms, check all the connectors on that circuit and make sure they're clean. check for any shorts in the ground circuit. you can do this visually, or do voltage drop tests between several points in the circuit and the negative terminal of the battery. a short after the bulb could bypass an intended resistance and increase current flow through the bulb without blowing fuses. just a few suggestions. they might not be worth anything.

ebpda9 01-06-2003 11:27 PM

thanks for the info. i will try that