HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The meaning of Honda (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10054)

darkdaedra 12-06-2002 01:13 AM

The meaning of Honda

Did you know what Honda means in Japanese?

The word is comprised of two kanji(in my icon:rambo:).

The first kanji is HON and it is the same HON in Nihon, the Japanese word for Japan. HON in this case means source. It can also mean book but it doesn't here.

The second kanji is DA. DA means rice field.

So HONDA means the source of rice fields.
You figure out what the hell the significance is of that...

On a side note, the first kanji in nihon is NI, which means sun. So NIHON is sun source. Hence, "Land of the Rising Sun".

Anyone know a word for a white guy whose asian at heart? Kinda like whitewashed asians but oppostie...:ricer:

juvenile 12-06-2002 01:31 AM

Haha. No wonder ricers choose Honda's most of the time! ;) :D lol. just messing! :yes:

Spazum888 12-06-2002 01:40 AM

:bs: ya i raise the bs flag on that one

94_AcCoRd_EX 12-06-2002 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spazum888
:bs: ya i raise the bs flag on that one

Yeah, even though it might 'be able' to mean that, I highly doubt it :rolleyes:

I can't say for sure though.

darkdaedra 12-06-2002 02:03 AM

Are you saying my post was bs? I can speak Japanese fairly fluently and have spent a lot of time in Japan.

shine! anata wa shiroi oni da ne!

darkdaedra 12-06-2002 02:08 AM

Okay, I believe that the most probable explanation of the name Honda is that some guy with the sir name Honda founded the company. The meaning of the kanji may be incidental. However, the fact that someone's last name is say, Smith, has the possibility of revealing something about their past. Like they had an answer who was a blacksmith of some sort. I just told the literal meaning there. The Nihon thing is DEFINITELY for real though... Don't believe me? Ask anyone with like 2 months of Japanese study and they can verify that.

yube wa, boku ga anata no haha ga yatta! ehhehhehehe

darkdaedra 12-06-2002 02:12 AM

*Originally I had posted here some fairly offensive remarks and I'm very sorry to anyone if it offended them.:foot: If you missed them and you really want to know what the Japanese meant, message me privately.*

bukaroshite yaru!
-I'm going to hit you until you die literally. That one is one of the most offensive things you can say in Japan. I know because of the shocked look on all the Japanese school girls' faces when I said it to my friend.

94_AcCoRd_EX 12-06-2002 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by darkdaedra
btw, the Japanese above meant: die, you white devil. the next one meant last night I ****ed your mom...

At least you're mature :rolleyes:

ebpda9 12-06-2002 06:51 AM

hmmm, i thought honda was founded by some dude called honda. he made pistons for yamaha(i thonk) motorcycles, then he figured out he can build his own motorcycles and built them. from that on we all know what happened.

and i agree the last name might reveal something about person's past.

juvenile 12-06-2002 11:01 AM

yes but what he is trying to say is that the guy's ancestors might have been rice farmers or something.

pdiggitydogg 12-06-2002 12:11 PM

its true, it is from rice fields. but because it is a name thats all it is.

pdiggitydogg 12-06-2002 12:22 PM

'course i just remebered that Hon is also japanese for book...but da alone is nothing... so i guess they 2 have to be together.

Spazum888 12-06-2002 03:08 PM

ok two things..

quit posting 2, 3, 4 time in a row..... just edit your last post to add more.

i didnt mean any disrespect to you dood. i was just saying that the story sounded alitttle off.

SofaKingSmooth 12-06-2002 05:14 PM

look it is not big deal.... who cares what honda meens to each person the word honda meens something diffrent...

guywithastang 12-06-2002 08:04 PM

ha ha , "rice":moon:

guywithastang 12-06-2002 08:05 PM

just playin

Accord Man 12-06-2002 08:12 PM

What I replied in another thread...

Quote:

Yes, and?? Does rice mean anything bad/evil ?

I think you're forgetting that in the East, rice is what keeps us alive.

Quiet powerful IMO.

:yes: