HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Others (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1.8l Crx? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365)

Racing Rice 09-17-2001 03:01 PM

1.8l Crx?

Does anyone know anyone that has put a 95(or equivilent) LS motor in a CRX. Im thinking about getting one if the guy doesnt want much for it and my friend has a 1.8L out of an LS sitting in his garage. How big of a job is it? Is it pretty quick?

icon 09-17-2001 04:24 PM

the motor is a b18a. i havnt done it but my friend has and he told me that it is a very worthwhile swap.. it has 140 hp and dohc, and the option to add a vtec head later on. the job shouldnt be too hard new mounts would be needed. would he be selling the whole swap (motor, tranny, ecu/wireing harness and all that suff) if so you should be ok.

Racing Rice 09-18-2001 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by icon
the motor is a b18a. i havnt done it but my friend has and he told me that it is a very worthwhile swap.. it has 140 hp and dohc, and the option to add a vtec head later on. the job shouldnt be too hard new mounts would be needed. would he be selling the whole swap (motor, tranny, ecu/wireing harness and all that suff) if so you should be ok.

Actually.. Hes giving me the motor only. Im going to have to find a tranny, ecu and wiring harnesses at a junk yard... Im just hoping that that stuff doesnt add upto more then just buying a complete swap for (I dont know why it would be.) I have a couple of CRX's I was going to go look at when ever I get some time..I dont know what model they are either...If worse comes to worse I may just go with a ZC.. But I dont really want to, Ill just have to see how the dollars and cents add up and which way Ill come out ahead.

dejoux 09-19-2001 03:39 AM

I realise youve got the motor for free but a B18a is not a worthwhile swap...Its got alot of torque but only slightly more hp than a ZC and much less than a B16A...theres a thread on here from 2ndgenIntegra (or sumthing like that) on why its not a good idea to put a VTEC head on a B18a motor.

For all the extra expense of getting the ancillaries and the hassle of putting the motor in, your better off gett a ZC or a B16A

eastcoastdelsol 09-26-2001 01:12 AM

umm no. you are all wrong.

the b18a was stopped being put in cars in 1993.
all 94+ gs/rs/ls/se integras have the b18b1.

for your crx, it would be SO much easier to put in a b18a.
the b18b is very very similar, but the chasiis of the b18a's teg is way more similar to the crx than the b18b's.
the biggest thing is that the a has a cable tranny (liek your rex) and the b has a hydro tranny. so, unless you are up for installing a clutch master cylender, id say go b18a.

KwikR6 10-19-2001 04:29 PM

I heard of a few peole here that tried to put in a b18 and had problems with fit...so I heard....

rollin 12-31-2001 04:54 PM

its kind of a pain in the ass but u just need some patience for it.

slowEJ6 01-08-2002 02:34 PM

B16A? HAH! that cant run 13psi on stock internals.......and the b18b can :cool:

b18b-t @ 13psi? hell yes. and the entire b18b swap can be had for about $2200 for a NEWER engine.

b16CRX 01-14-2002 01:39 PM

There is a guy that comes into my work every now and then and he has a B18b with a JRSC, the car is very quick and it will respond better to the supercharger then it will to the an LS/vtec hybrid. That motor also has 140 hp at the fly wheel, I have seen several dyno graphs with 2 '96 LS's having only about 111 hp. The good part about that motor is that it has a longer stroke which give nice torque. Overall, it should be a fairly easy swap, if you can tighten bolts, you can swap that motor! :)