HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   My Car is Broken! (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   random tweaky problems.. (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25520)

krz2fer 10-16-2005 10:36 AM

random tweaky problems..

A few things that I need some insight on:

(1) Part of the backlit display behind the heating/cooling instrument panel has gone black - not the entire thing - just a small section like a bulb burned out. What's the deal with that?

(2) My gear shift panel in the middle of the two front seats only works part of the time. I find myself banging it and it'll sometimes light up, like it just needed a kick in the ass. Again, why?

(3) I've had indiglos for about 3 years and they started going bad about a year ago, only working part of the time. Then about a month or two ago, my speedometer needle started going crazy, bouncing everywhere, sometimes even just going dead for periods of time. I then read indiglos can mess that up for some reason due to the splicing of the wires, so I removed them today but it didnt magically fix anything. What are my options with this? A bigger problem is that when the needle goes dead, so does the mileage count. :mad:

Thanks for your help...

krz2fer 10-20-2005 05:18 PM

Anyone?

I've never seen this forum so dead...

IALuder 10-20-2005 05:31 PM

number 1, yes a bulb is the problem. just simply go to honda and get a 2 $ bulb.

number 2, im confused

number 3, get stock guages agians. they dont go bad.

pdiggitydogg 10-20-2005 05:50 PM

2) youve probably got a loose connector in the center console

3) Check your vss first, if its fine, I suggest you replace the entire cluster and leave it stock. Its fairly simple to change miles on the odometer, but technically, a shop has to do it and have paperwork.

ebpda9 10-20-2005 10:57 PM

1--burnt out bulb
2--burnt out bulb (trust me on this one.
3--bad vss connection if it's an electronic system, or bad cable if it's a cable system

krz2fer 10-21-2005 11:06 AM

Went in today for an oil change, he verified the first two things are light burnouts that probably arent worth the labor charges.

He's suggesting either a new speed sensor or a new speedometer head, both of which are more expensive than getting a cluster from ebay. But a new cluster wont neccessarily fix the problem if its the sensor, right?

I could replace the cluster myself, but how do you make the miles match up? My car has about 121k, and I found one on ebay thats got 115k. I'd say that'll work if I learn how to roll forward the miles.

New speed sensor or new cluster? I feel like it's a crap shoot.

ebpda9 10-21-2005 11:10 AM

do you get a ceck engine light ? if not your vss won't have any problems. also can you use the cruise control ?

krz2fer 10-21-2005 12:35 PM

No check engine light and I can use the cruise fine. In fact, during the increments when the speedo is working, I'll usually set the cruise so I know I'm going a certain speed. Otherwise I guess with cars around me.