HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   B16 with itr cams (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18864)

soofisahab 12-14-2003 01:11 AM

B16 with itr cams

Hello tuners, big time newbie so bear with me

I have a JDM b16(170hp version, hydraulic) in 93 del sol. I am going to do the following mods: Cold ir intake, big spark wires, itr cam w/ springs and retainers, itr header w 2.5 high flow cat and cat back, p28 chipped ecu....

I would like to know if these is good setup, and what power will result(whp)? The ignition is going to remain stock, as is the intake manifold(for now, at least). Do I need to advance the ignition timing?
Ohh, How much does a mechanic charge to do cam install w/springs and retainers? I am going to do new timing belt, should I do anything else when this gets done?

Thanks

pdiggitydogg 12-14-2003 11:45 AM

sounds fine
but ctr cams are more aggressive and you dont need to upgrade the wires really

whp will be around 40million...
dont ask what the hp will be...go to a dyno (there are too many factors). they will also tell you if you need to change the timing, but I doubt you will.
AND, if you want prices...call around

nonovurbizniz 12-16-2003 03:52 PM

Re: B16 with itr cams

Quote:

Originally posted by soofisahab
Hello tuners, big time newbie so bear with me

I have a JDM b16(170hp version, hydraulic) in 93 del sol. I am going to do the following mods: Cold ir intake, big spark wires, itr cam w/ springs and retainers, itr header w 2.5 high flow cat and cat back, p28 chipped ecu....

I would like to know if these is good setup, and what power will result(whp)? The ignition is going to remain stock, as is the intake manifold(for now, at least). Do I need to advance the ignition timing?
Ohh, How much does a mechanic charge to do cam install w/springs and retainers? I am going to do new timing belt, should I do anything else when this gets done?

Thanks

For the amount of money you'll end up spending all at once for...

Header, cat, exhaust, CAI, wires...

You could probobly just turbo it... That will definately give you better hp/dollar than all that stuff...

If I were you I'd save your money now and do some research into your options... and make a more educated decision then... plus if you save till you decide you'll have more money to spend.

cashizslick 12-16-2003 04:34 PM

Oh ya, Greddy Turbo - and you could still do CTR cams.

pdiggitydogg 12-16-2003 04:47 PM

if boosting id rather have gsr cams

cashizslick 12-16-2003 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
if boosting id rather have gsr cams

How come? - just wondering.

Since CTR cams are more aggressive than GSR cams, then they should work better with the turbo. Even if they do have a longer duration, it shouldnt be too long for turbo use.

The only time i would worry about duration is when buying Hi-perf. aftermarket cams with a REALLY long durration - i'd buy cams built specifically for boost or NA/Naws.

pdiggitydogg 12-16-2003 09:24 PM

gsr cams are like...honda turbo cams

GSR cams have less overlap which is best for turbo...overlap means bye-bye boost..."It's escaped!"

ctr/irt cams would have to be adjusted w/ cam-gears to work well with boost (change overlap)...but hell you gotta get it tuned anyways so if you got the gears, go for it.

the R cams make keep making power past 8500...and if you change the valvetrain to keep going past that and then play with overlap then they would probably be just dandy and make gobs of power

anyone know the exact specs for the lifts on gsr and itr cams? I think i remember that gsr is only slightly less

cashizslick 12-17-2003 07:57 AM

SO basically, stick with the Best OEM honda Cam ever, and tune the thing.

pdiggitydogg 12-17-2003 11:02 AM

i guess...but get good cam gears to go with em