HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lowering springs.. suspension.. i don't get it (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14817)

02_Si 04-23-2003 06:36 PM

Lowering springs.. suspension.. i don't get it

I don't get it all about lowering... are new shocks required for lowering a car or what? I want to lower my 03 Si about 1 1/2 inches or so... but not sure if i will need new shocks... I don't even know what brand of springs is reliable...I don't want to be takin' a corner and have a spring go flyin' off thru my hood or something... anyone know a good name for springs and what exactly is good for my car for lowering it?? Are there any kits that have everything in it? And how much $$ ?? Thnkx.

ebpda9 04-23-2003 08:33 PM

well i think eibach makes a spring for your car. those are some bad ass springs that can work indifinitely with the stock struts

Wren57 04-23-2003 09:02 PM

Yeah, eibach makes good stuff. If you plan on getting new rims/tires in a specific size or have them already, the eibachs might lower your car too much so you may want to check on that first. It should cost around $200 for the springs and about $75 to install. Most people say you don't need a camber kit unless you drop at least 2", but I would still get one anyways just to be on the safe side...

silver 04-23-2003 09:24 PM

technically no springs that are not oem height and spring rate will be bad for your shocks. they affect the range that the shocks are constructed to operate in, but you won't hurt anything with a good set of springs for a while, plus if you're looking to upgrade your suspension, you'll want to plan on getting better shocks in the future anyway. the most convenient is to get a full coilover system where the pieces are engineered for each other, then you won't have to buy shocks again either.

good springs:
intrax
eibach
tein
goldline
neuspeed
h&r
progress

these are just the most common that come to my mind, there are millions more.

cashizslick 04-24-2003 09:46 AM

I love my springs, they give a great ride. I have also had them in for a little over a year and have had no probs w/stock struts.

JDMB16 04-24-2003 11:51 AM

You aren't "required" to have new shocks, but they are suggested. OEM shocks aren't designed to take the extra stress put on them by lowering your vehicle and it ends up providing a stiff, bumpy ride and gets a lot worse when they finally give way and blow out.

KwikR6 04-24-2003 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by highlander
Most people say you don't need a camber kit unless you drop at least 2", but I would still get one anyways just to be on the safe side...

You don't need a camber kit
I have Tanabe springs with Tokico blue shocks lowered 2" and I have NO camber issues. No problems. nothing.

bent_remy 04-24-2003 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Black Del Sol
You don't need a camber kit
I have Tanabe springs with Tokico blue shocks lowered 2" and I have NO camber issues. No problems. nothing.

Nothing personal but I don't know what your talking about. My car is lowered 1.5 with 17's and my front tires rub down to the steel in about 4 months. I would advise to get a camber kit.:yes:

KwikR6 04-25-2003 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bent_remy
Nothing personal but I don't know what your talking about. My car is lowered 1.5 with 17's and my front tires rub down to the steel in about 4 months. I would advise to get a camber kit.:yes:

I don't know what your talking about either.
I have no problems being lowered 2"
I have never rubbed and I have no problems with camber. You've never been in or around my car, or for that matter even seen it. Wheels are aligned perfectly and camber is perfect. Trust me on this one. It's my car.

02_Si 04-25-2003 10:59 AM

what exactly does a camber kit do? Isn't there some kind of tool that a shop would have that would eliminate the rub of the tire... I remember reading something about a tool that connects to your wheel that they spin real fast and gets real hot that melts away the wall that the tire rubs on... is that true?

JDMB16 04-25-2003 11:26 AM

camber kits keep your wheels from turning in towards the car. here is what it would look like with bad camber

wheel car wheel
/ = \

as for your second question, I have no clue what you're talking about lol :confused:

02_Si 04-25-2003 01:40 PM

do they even make camber for my car??? I haven't seen any yet... I've looked online... can't find any

RavingCivic 04-30-2003 10:13 PM

Yes they make a Camber Kit for Your car.
http://jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=175191&BQ=sc
there is the link straight to a Kit, if u have any questions Instant Message me on AOL Instant messenger my name is DanyeruDono

DEL SOL do u have dual wishbone suspension, i know that del sols are based on civics but i am not sure if they have same suspension:confused:

i also want to know who has COILOVERS, and who has just the Lowering Springs? what is the ride like for both?