HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   My Car is Broken! (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   CV Joints? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22820)

Rob 10-02-2004 12:03 PM

CV Joints?

Got a question....

How do you know when your CV joints are ready to go into the pooper? Recently I've noticed that when I go into a hard turn (like pulling into a parking lot too fast) I hear a "pop" sound coming from my front driver's side. I was never really sure what it was but after talking to a few people I'm being told that it's my CV joints....does that sound right?

AkimboStylee 10-02-2004 03:34 PM

yepper! better fix them now, cause i waited and payed out the ass for them

thermal 10-02-2004 05:29 PM

Sounds about right. Sometimes you'll hear a rattling sound each time you make a turn. It's really easy to replace that shit. Dont replace the joint. replace the whole axle. It will be less painful....

AkimboStylee 10-02-2004 08:48 PM

you have within three hours of a busted boot to replace it (3 hrs driving time) or you will have to replace the axle. sure you can replace the boot, but if dirt were to have gotten in there it will click and cause a vibration

pdiggitydogg 10-02-2004 09:19 PM

well
Id say a loud "pop" or "thud" would be a ball joint
Clicking while turning would be a cv joint.
Continuous or single sound?

Easiest way to tell is just to jack it up and take a look at the joint or boot for tears

JDMFantasy2k 10-02-2004 10:00 PM

same symptoms happened to my friend's bimmer. seemed whenever he'd turn into a driveway fast you'd hear a loud pop or bang. I think it ended up being his ball joints.

blind34_1 10-03-2004 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by krwheeler85
you have within three hours of a busted boot to replace it (3 hrs driving time) or you will have to replace the axle. sure you can replace the boot, but if dirt were to have gotten in there it will click and cause a vibration

you might as well just do the whole axle anyway. ever tried just replacing the joint? It's incredibly messy, difficult to understand because the chiltons manual is vague at best, and its highly unlikely you will be able to put the boot back on right (thats assuming you can even FIND a new cv boot and strap. most places will only sell ou a universal "quick boot" which is trash.)

Just do the whole axle. you'll thank yourself. you'll need:
a good set of sockets
an incredibly big socket to fit around the wheel nut
a hammer and chisel to take the dimple out of the wheel nut
a REALLY long cheater bar to torque the crap out of the wheel nut to get it off
ball joint separator (about 15$ at autozone, which you can rent a tool from)
couple of flathead screwdrivers to pop the axle from the transmission
patience and a friend to help you

me and my cousin have half shaft replacement down to a 20minute ordeal (not including getting the parts)

ebpda9 10-03-2004 08:58 AM

i say it's the axles too. just replace them. and one more piece of advice: get the rebuilt ones from honda, not the autparts store. the ap ones are not balanced that good and you will have shit loads of drivetrain vibration.

AkimboStylee 10-03-2004 04:58 PM

i paid over 300 bucks for mine (both sides, and i have no vibration, they actually have a triple boot so-to-speak, it is just triple thick, and i mean they were a bitch to put in, but i have had no problems yet!

pdiggitydogg 10-03-2004 05:03 PM

eh I use the ones from autozone.
They have a lifetime warranty so whenever it dies I just take it in for a new one.
Theyre easy to change - I can do it in a few hrs (thats if the lower ball joint comes out easily)

Rob 10-09-2004 10:24 AM

Thanks guys...that's what I thought. I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the whole axle. As hard as I drive my car, I might as well do things the right way.......

ifeldwn02 10-12-2004 03:23 PM

dude u need to start slowing down especially the way your luck is with your car