HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   High Performance (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   gas (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3688)

ebpda9 03-18-2002 01:28 PM

gas

I don't know guys if u noticed but lately every gas station claims to have more detergens and aditives in their gasoline for "cleaner leaner engines". Don't those additives messup the o2 sensors ? I noticed that my car runs like crap everytime i use the gasoline from one of the stations that claim this. Until yesterday i used sunoco, but i switched to shell and my car getts a better idle. What do u think about additives ?

Addict 03-18-2002 02:36 PM

Personally I only use Shell. I'll use BP in a pinch.

Sunoco seems to be ok. I haven't seen any of these signs, but if I do I won't be filling up there.

ebpda9 03-18-2002 07:44 PM

They just put the signs up in the last week or so.

spoogenet 03-26-2002 03:40 PM

I tend to mostly use Chevron and Exxon. I got tired of Shell ripping me off when I filled up, after stopping the pump the numbers would slowly creep up as if I'm pumping fuel.

Honda recommends using fuels with detergents....I dunno how good/bad they're going to be for your engine in the near term, but in the long term you want some kind of detergent to prevent build-up, no?

Who do you think has the best gas, and why?

b

ebpda9 03-28-2002 12:47 PM

if i need a "clean and lean" (sunoco) engine all i have to do is run some atf thru the pressure regualtor and then i get it cleaner than the sunoc gas

Addict 03-28-2002 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hondaman-iac
if i need a "clean and lean" (sunoco) engine all i have to do is run some atf thru the pressure regualtor and then i get it cleaner than the sunoc gas

I've heard of that, but I'm half scared to do it.:paranoid:

Boosted3g 03-28-2002 01:58 PM

must be nice to be able to run pump gasoline. :paranoid:

AzCivic 03-28-2002 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hondaman-iac

what is that???

Addict 03-28-2002 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Boosted3g
must be nice to be able to run pump gasoline. :paranoid:

Must be nice to have boost......

OT:
What bar are you boosting at now anyhow?

maxpsi 03-28-2002 07:52 PM

Shell 93 octane forever and always:wave:

spoogenet 03-29-2002 09:34 AM

For all you Shell lovers, what makes Shell better than any other major brand gas?

b

ebpda9 03-29-2002 11:08 AM

no aditives and no detergents yet, but i'm not a shell fan. i was using sunoco, until i ran into a shell

94_AcCoRd_EX 03-29-2002 01:06 PM

I use Shell or Chevron, seems to be good gas.

spoogenet 03-29-2002 04:40 PM

Well, Chevron has Techron...if their ad campaign is to be believed, it's good for your engine. :)

All I know is that Honda recommends running fuels with detergents......so why not?

b

ebpda9 04-04-2002 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spoogenet
Well, Chevron has Techron...if their ad campaign is to be believed, it's good for your engine. :)

All I know is that Honda recommends running fuels with detergents......so why not?

b

'cause my engine rruns like crap with detergents. detergents are for clothes not for cars;)

midjjj 04-17-2002 12:36 AM

so noone likes BP??
i like ti due to the gas card:)

Mushroom 04-17-2002 09:27 AM

I've heard secondhand horror stories from mechanics about BP gas. I use whatever is convenient, and haven't noticed a difference between any of them.

Honda_Gurl 04-17-2002 09:41 AM

we don't have shells here, i usually fill up premium at chevron or phillips 66. i prefer the gas at phillips though...do u guys have those around your areas??

ebpda9 04-17-2002 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mushroom
I've heard secondhand horror stories from mechanics about BP gas. I use whatever is convenient, and haven't noticed a difference between any of them.

i heard it from my ex mechanic at Ganley Honda, when i got my car out of repairs because of BP gas. I had to replace most of the sensors becaudse BP burnt them.here is the receipt

spoogenet 04-17-2002 12:38 PM

I think BP uses Amoco gas now, after the merger and all.

So just how much of a difference does one notice with detergents vs without, and in what way does one notice this difference?

Over the long run, though, I would expect detergents to improve performance due to reduced build-up.

Addict 04-17-2002 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spoogenet
I think BP uses Amoco gas now, after the merger and all.

So just how much of a difference does one notice with detergents vs without, and in what way does one notice this difference?

Over the long run, though, I would expect detergents to improve performance due to reduced build-up.

I believe it was Amoco & Shell that merged.

Mushroom 04-17-2002 02:10 PM

not according to www.bpamoco.com

yelizardking 04-22-2002 02:56 PM

"run some atf thru the pressure regualtor and then i get it cleaner than the sunoc gas"

what do you mean by that' i am totally lost right there

AzCivic 04-23-2002 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by yelizardking
"run some atf thru the pressure regualtor and then i get it cleaner than the sunoc gas"

what do you mean by that' i am totally lost right there

Yeah, I asked that I don't know how long ago!

ShEaNy 04-25-2002 01:37 PM

What about those Fuel Injector Cleaners and Octane boosts? are those any good for ur engine? or do they just screw up sensors..

Addict 04-25-2002 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sheany_91accord
What about those Fuel Injector Cleaners and Octane boosts? are those any good for ur engine? or do they just screw up sensors..
DON'T use octane boosters!
http://www.stylejudge.com/forums/att...s=&postid=1063
Those are from my 98 EX I used to have. I ran ONE bottle of NOS Racing Formula Octane Booster.
We had a topic on StyleJudge.com about this....

yelizardking 04-26-2002 02:04 AM

are you sure that the one bottle of octane boost did that?

Addict 04-26-2002 06:49 AM

Quote:

are you sure that the one bottle of octane boost did that?
Most certainly. I can't think of the name of the chemical in the boosters, but it leaves red deposits... on everything.

yelizardking 05-02-2002 02:19 PM

once again i ask what does "run some atf thru the pressure regualtor and then i get it cleaner than the sunoc gas" hepl me out here

AzCivic 05-02-2002 10:03 PM

Quote:

once again i ask what does "run some atf thru the pressure regualtor and then i get it cleaner than the sunoc gas" hepl me out here

Ditto