HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   High Performance (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   which one... (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23873)

IALuder 02-06-2005 06:34 AM

which one...

do u like turbo or do u like super chargers or nos?? just seeing what diff opinions are on this.

MissJDM 02-06-2005 11:07 PM

BTW, why the hell did you start posting like a mad monkey. It;s like you had all of these questions written down in a hat. lol

Mischief 02-06-2005 11:33 PM

Personally a fan of turbo, but can always admire a supercharged car.. Like an Integra or a M3

C's 94 InTeGrA 02-10-2005 04:14 PM

I like both. But i love my supercharger and the sound that comes from it is wicked as hell lol

JDMFantasy2k 02-10-2005 09:43 PM

ah what a question. Either NA (esp. vtec motors) or turbo'd engines. VTEC for the 5700 rpm kick in the pants (and sound), and turbo's for the spool (and sound as well).

I'd say i got turned onto turbos when my buddy had his WRX and i was driving it every weekend. It was intoxicating. The power delivery and refinement was unreal.

thermal 02-11-2005 06:27 PM

turbo. I like the fact that I can turn up the boost while on the "go".

AzCivic 02-11-2005 06:52 PM

turbo w/ an anitlag device

VonDigger 04-09-2005 02:38 PM

Theres good and bad with each of those 3 choices. First the good.

Turbo: A turbo makes "free horsepower" by using the exhast gases created by the car to spin a compressor wheel which in turn force feeds the engine. There is no parasitic loss from the engine.

Supercharger: Although the power isn't "free", A supercharger run off the engine by means of a belt or gear drive,(note: I'm an older cuss and have seen gear driven blowers. I don't think that you can get one anymore for anything LOL). You will lose some power to parasitic loss, but you won't have the heat that a turbo creates.

Nitrous: Another source of free HP. It can be added to a stock engine, all the way to a full race engine. It can also the finely tuned, regulated, even shut off for street use.

Now the bad.

Turbo: First of all there is turbo lag. Almost all turbos will lag, unless there is a anti lag circut with the turbo. The other problem is heat. Turbos make gobs of heat that can be detrimental to performance. Lastly, you have to run an oil line to the turbo and make sure it's getting lubed. The last one is a minor thing, but lose lubercation and kiss the engine goodbye.

Supercharging: As stated before, there is a small matter of parasitic loss on the engine from the blower drive. as I said it's a small matter on that reguard. There is also a small lag issue depending on what kind of blower you run. A centrifigal blower will have a little lag, where a roots style blower will have none.

Nitrous: The biggest problem with nitrous is more user error that a defect in the product it's self. On a stock engine you can only go so far with the bottle. One step over the line and you will be riding the world fastest handgernade. The other nusence with Nitrous, other than a problen is having to get the bottles filled LOL.

I know I didn't get into comperssion ratios and what octane to run but I hope this gives you a quick idea from both sides of the coin.

thermal 04-10-2005 06:47 AM

Von, any internal combustion engine, turbo/supercharged or not, that loses lubrication will suffer damage. Most superchargers are lubricated too.

Turbo lag is a matter of getting your set-up right. Ensure to get the proper trim for the proper power band and HP peak and lag will be almost pointless.......

GT40FIED 04-10-2005 10:23 PM

Turbo plain and simple. Like Von said, there are some drawbacks, but overall it's the best way to go about making power. Blowers all have parasitic drag (the bigger the blower, the more power they suck up...some race blowers as much as 100hp) and with centrifugal blowers boost is relative to rpm so you need to rev the shit out of the motor to get advertised maximum boost. Roots blowers are better...but there's still the issue of drag and one of air inlet temps. This can be cured with intercooling, but it's a lot harder to package an IC with a roots blower. Nitrous is just...well...no. You have to keep such a close eye on your engine's state of tune and if you use the juice enough, the cost can quickly approach that of a good blower/turbo kit when you factor in refills. The fact is that too many people just don't know how to use nitrous and end up doing severe damage to their motors. Besides, it's only good for short bursts...turbos and blowers are always there and a hell of a lot easier to adjust than a nitrous kit.