HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Accord (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Making a true short shifter (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240)

94_AcCoRd_EX 09-09-2001 02:00 AM

Making a true short shifter

Hey guys, I was just thinking about something, and I wanted your input. I already have a B&M short shift adapter, but it doesn't reduce the throw that much, though I like it.

Has anyone actually taken the stick out, cut out a 1 inch or so piece from the bottom section, and re-welded it? I have heard speculation that this would work, but would it? Just want some opinions.

Thanks guys... and ladies :p

azn_nite_ryder 09-09-2001 03:12 AM

yes it does work.. i have the b and m adapter too... and cut it 1.5" and it works wonders.... well at least im happy with it....

94_AcCoRd_EX 09-09-2001 12:18 PM

Thanks azn_nite_ryder, that sounds good. So you cut it out of the bottom section (I think that's the only place to do it)? Is there anything special required to do it? I don't have the tools to weld it, so I'm going to have to get it done.

Thanks again azn_nite_ryder.

azn_nite_ryder 09-09-2001 11:35 PM

hmmm.. you know what... i think they cut the top... no welding.... but dont quote me on that.... i'll check on what they did and i'll get back to ya....

No pRobs

jweller 09-09-2001 11:50 PM

rather than weld it, why not use a tap and die set to add threads to the unthreaded portion of the lever, and then cut off what you want. A lot easier than removing the shift lever from the car to weld it.

94_AcCoRd_EX 09-10-2001 01:33 AM

jweller, my only concern was that the stick gets thick and curves not too far from the top. I haven't measured exactly, but I'm not sure there is enough room. Right now I'm using a momo knob, so the threads aren't that important to me.

I was thinking of going to a junkyard and getting an extra stick to experiment on.

94_AcCoRd_EX 09-28-2001 05:59 PM

Now that we have some more people around... anyone else have suggestions? I haven't had the time to work on it yet.

Racing Rice 10-17-2001 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jweller
rather than weld it, why not use a tap and die set to add threads to the unthreaded portion of the lever, and then cut off what you want. A lot easier than removing the shift lever from the car to weld it.

This is the way Ive always heard of it being done.. I dont know about an accord but the bend on the civic doesnt start until much lower..

94_AcCoRd_EX 10-18-2001 01:20 AM

Thanks for the info. I've never used a tap and die set, anyone want to shed some light on the subject? How much do they cost? Also, does anyone know what size to buy?

And I'm off to bed... gotta get up early and take a dynamics midterm ::no:: college is way too hard :D

ChrisCantSkate 10-19-2001 02:54 PM

i know this is how we do it on preludes:
cut the desided amount, then use the aftermarket shift knobs that slide over the shifter to just hold on, also if you wana keep the shifter on and do it in your car, use a dremal and cut the bottom off a milk gallon jug, and put it over the shifter upside down to catch all the shavings when you cut it w/ the dremal. i imagine that accords would be the same way.

94_AcCoRd_EX 10-19-2001 10:32 PM

Well, I actually do have a Momo knob with set screws. It hardly stays on now, the screws back out even with locktite, so I didn't think it would stay on a smooth shaft. So there are no problems doing it like that? Cool, I'll try it when I get the time.