HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   High Performance (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Switching to Snythetic? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15642)

Duckydos 05-30-2003 06:38 AM

Switching to Snythetic?

Just curious... '98 Accord has 108,xxx miles on it. The engine runs strong and smooth, but has never seen a drop of synthetic oil. If I were to start using synthetic, might the engine perform better, smoother, longer? Or is the damage already done?

Thanks for your help.

-Ducky

ebpda9 05-30-2003 08:46 AM

well i used synthetic and the oil level will just drop a lot faster. it goes thru a lot of cracks in the gaskets and stuff.

94_AcCoRd_EX 05-30-2003 06:39 PM

Yeah, with 100k +, synthetic might be hard to use. It is more viscous and will seep through any micro cracks you have. I just tried a synthetic blend two weeks ago when I changed my oil, and I haven't lost a drop, but I haven't made the move to syn. yet. I have 108k on my engine also. If you want to use it, just try it, but check your oil very often at first.

blind34_1 06-02-2003 11:47 AM

i have 175k on my hatch and I use castrol syntec. I works pretty well for me, and I haven't had much leakage.

nonovurbizniz 06-08-2003 12:17 AM

I've always used synthetics in my car since my first one had 10k on it... I got this one at like 60k and went straight to mobil 1... they changed their formula and frankly I don't like it anymore... SO I recently changed over to redline... and it's AWESOME.. way too expensive though... I'm gunna let it run the milage it says it can to absorb the cost because I was changing my mobil 1 ever 3k or so... you could feel how much harder of a time the car had in vtec after 2k miles with the mobil1. Now I've got like 3-4k on my first run of redline and it still revs smooth.. gotta change the filter halfway through though.

also for people worried about leaking with syn... get a step thicker or 2... 20-50 or so.. .that stuff won't leak on ya.

94_AcCoRd_EX 06-08-2003 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
also for people worried about leaking with syn... get a step thicker or 2... 20-50 or so.. .that stuff won't leak on ya.

I usually use 5W-30 regular, so would 10-30 be good synthetic? Can you really feel the difference when driving? I didn't notice anything different when I went from reg --> syn blend.

fzr400tony 06-11-2003 09:25 AM

just a reminder to those who switched from one synth to another, don't forget to flush the system with regular dyno juice.

i don't think you'll notice a serious difference in performance. however, i have 135k with not one motor problem in my 99 acura. break-in oil to 2000 miles. changed to quaker state. redlined in 4 times to seat everything. changed to mobil 1 5w30 after that.

spoogenet 06-11-2003 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
gotta change the filter halfway through though.

What exactly do you mean by that? Are you meaning change it halfway through the recommended Redline change interval? What does change intervals does Redline recommend?

I haven't really noticed any big issues with Mobil1, but then again I've run Mobil1 since I got the car with 8k on it. Usually run 5w30 but right now have 10w30 in it, it's way too thick and my gas mileage has gone down. I need to get 5w30 back in it....especially since Honda recommends 5w20 for my car anyways.

b

KwikR6 06-11-2003 01:52 PM

As long as my engine doesn't seize up.
I'm happy.
hahaha
but for real.
I use castrol syntec
and I'm happy

Addict 06-16-2003 09:24 PM

With that many miles already, you will likely have the issues hondaman-iac said. The higher mileage engines like conventional due to its consistency. Stick with what works.:yes:

nonovurbizniz 07-03-2003 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spoogenet
What exactly do you mean by that? Are you meaning change it halfway through the recommended Redline change interval? What does change intervals does Redline recommend?

I haven't really noticed any big issues with Mobil1, but then again I've run Mobil1 since I got the car with 8k on it. Usually run 5w30 but right now have 10w30 in it, it's way too thick and my gas mileage has gone down. I need to get 5w30 back in it....especially since Honda recommends 5w20 for my car anyways.

b

yup half way through the 10-12k mi. change interval you change the filter and add a half quart (or whatever to top it up)...

I actually haven't done it yet though... oops.

patruns 07-08-2003 04:55 PM

I only have 23k on my 98 Accord. Runs like a champ. I have always been diligent with oil changes, but never have used a synthetic. I am just looking for good wear and better mileage. Is it worth the additional cost? How much of a mpg increase have you seen on the highway?

spoogenet 07-11-2003 08:05 AM

I didn't see any noticeable increase in my gas mileage when I switched to synthetic.

I still change mine at or before the Honda recommended change intervals, I don't try to stretch it out for extra life. I only change based on mileage now, though, I don't pay as much attention to time as I did with natural oil.

b

V8killimports 07-27-2003 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by spoogenet
I didn't see any noticeable increase in my gas mileage when I switched to synthetic.

I still change mine at or before the Honda recommended change intervals, I don't try to stretch it out for extra life. I only change based on mileage now, though, I don't pay as much attention to time as I did with natural oil.

b

Umm.. yea I am pretty sure you won't get and performence gains at all from synthetic.. just more protection for your engine....and choosing a weight oil can depend on a number of things.. if your oil pressure is a little low maybe cause its hot as hell outside, it's cause it's thinned... use a heavier weight.. if it's winter use a lighter weight..

Addict 07-27-2003 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by V8killimports
Umm.. yea I am pretty sure you won't get and performence gains at all from synthetic.. just more protection for your engine....and choosing a weight oil can depend on a number of things.. if your oil pressure is a little low maybe cause its hot as hell outside, it's cause it's thinned... use a heavier weight.. if it's winter use a lighter weight..

I think he mentions the performance part because of Royal Purple's claims on HP gains.:rolleyes:

It may be good oil, but I hardly believe the hype on any gains. Lots of things can affect that dyno to get a few extra hp.

Mobil1 Syn & Purolator PureONE filter is still the best bang for the buck....:yes:

spoogenet 08-07-2003 09:10 AM

I wouldn't call higher gas mileage a performance gain....but I have heard many people claim that since the synths are slicker than natural oils they tend to lead to higher gas mileage....whether you believe it or not, I didn't get any higher gas mileage, so I don't believe it. :)

For weights, it's unfortunate Mobil1 isn't made in 5W20, right now I have 10W30 but need to bump down to 5W30.

Thinking of which....I need to change my oil.

b