HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   For The Geek In You (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   firefox/IE question (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24801)

ChrisCantSkate 06-21-2005 12:47 PM

firefox/IE question

so ive got mozilla firefox now as my default browser, and it opens all the links except for when i try to check my email(hotmail) through the MSN messenger passport thing it opens up IE. since ive switched to firefox i HATE IE cause it is the reason i have all these damn popups and spyware. is there a way to get msn to open firefox instead of IE? or since its microsoft, did they made it impossible to do it

GT40FIED 06-21-2005 02:46 PM

I'd guess that since MSN is linked with Microsoft it'd be hard if not impossible to change the preference. I don't use MSN for shit so I wouldn't know. You might fiddle with it a bit and look for some preference settings to change it over. I don't know...people always bitch about IE and it's security holes and whatnot, but I've never had any problems with it since I found security tools to beat the shit out of spyware. Besides...it's only a matter of time before people learn how to exploit Firefox.

IALuder 06-21-2005 03:29 PM

my fire fox opens MSN and hotmail just fine. no IE ever opened.

blind34_1 06-21-2005 10:52 PM

If you are using microsofts passport crap with messenger (also crap), then it opens its crap browser, IE. No way around it that I've heard of. This is also true of running windows update manually, IE is "required" so MS can use their exploit prone active x controls.

anyway, the answer is you'll have to make a bookmark link in firefox to your hotmail account. Yes its a few more clicks, but using IE as little as possible is way better.

(btw, just out of curiosity, why are you still using hotmail? last i saw of them, the service was horrible. want a gmail account? )

Racing Rice 06-22-2005 08:45 AM

You could always use the Thunderbird email piece from Mozilla.

blind34_1 06-22-2005 03:45 PM

but most webmail companies dont want you using your own email client. if you did, you wouldnt have to look at all their ads.

but yeah, thru your isp they probably offer you a few email accounts for which you could use your own client, like thunderbird. check it out.

ChrisCantSkate 06-25-2005 02:46 PM

hmm how is gmail? i dont have a isp email provided since im in a apt complex with internet included.

ebpda9 06-25-2005 03:06 PM

actually ie can be removed with tweak xp. a lot of settings can be changed from there.

blind34_1 06-26-2005 02:27 PM

ie can never be complety removed. While I've removed easy access to the browser, IE is still very integrated into windows. Unfortunatly I need for web page testing. IE is one of the worst browsers to code for.

Gmail is amazing. Infinite storage, no popup ads, a great spam-organizer (dumps the shit into a spam folder), a uses Java in a smart way. Initially you may not like it cause its different, but after a while you'll learn to love it. The only advertisements are google adsense text ads on the right side of the screen not obtrusive or annoying at all. best free service ever.

I'll give anyone a gmail account on here that wants one. Just give your current email address to send the invite to.

ChrisCantSkate 06-26-2005 04:17 PM

prelud3@hotmail.com

blind34_1 06-27-2005 12:29 PM

done. youve got mail

ChrisCantSkate 06-27-2005 01:11 PM

mucho thanks man