HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   header = +torque or (-)torque ? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15657)

02_Si 05-30-2003 06:47 PM

header = +torque or (-)torque ?

Exhaust loses torq right? Do header do the same or does it add torque?

AzCivic 05-30-2003 07:10 PM

an exhaust thats made for your application wont lose torque.

94_AcCoRd_EX 05-30-2003 07:11 PM

You won't lose torque overall if the components are good, but they might shift the torque curve up a little bit depending on the application. Overall, you should see a torque gain on a dyno.

02_Si 05-30-2003 07:12 PM

I've heard from a lot of peeps that it WILL lose torque.. I didn't want to believe that it's true... I just can't take the pain!! ;) But if you say that it won't, I'll believe you.

94_AcCoRd_EX 05-30-2003 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 02_Si
I've heard from a lot of peeps that it WILL lose torque.. I didn't want to believe that it's true... I just can't take the pain!! ;) But if you say that it won't, I'll believe you.

You don't have to take anyone's word for it. Go out and grab some import magazines that test exhaust/headers, etc. and show dynos. You can see exactly where torque was gained/lost.

nonovurbizniz 05-30-2003 11:36 PM

it looses a lot of engine braking... which SOME people mis-interpret as torque... it will be more free flowing (hopefully) so there needs to be a certain amount of volume of flow before there is sufficient back-pressure.

I just did mine last night... it definately picked up some power and that includes torque... I used to NEED to downshift out of 5th when doing under 60... I can now maintain speeds under 60 and have more low end pick up.... so there is obviously minor increases in torque...

if you get some HUGE piped 4-1 though it could take significantly longer to get the volume of exiting gases needed to get some back-pressure.

while exessive back-pressure can be harmful you NEED some in order to produce torque... the decrease in my backpressure was enough to give me more power without loosing lowend power... but the header I got is basically designed to do that... where some are meant for high reving top end... which may lose some torque down low.

and like 94accord said... your best path to getting what you're looking for is research... I'm sure one or two of the import mags have done a header shoot out for your car.

HndaTch627 05-31-2003 01:53 AM

okay first of all don't believe everything you read, they tell you peak gains, they never mention the -4 TQ or HP you lose under the peak output. you really need to see the entire dyno chart to figure out if it's right for you.

jeremy

DavidH 05-31-2003 02:44 AM

the july issue of import tuners powerpages tests a 03 SI...dc sport headers, a tanabe exhaust and a K&N intake. it has some shrinked down dyno charts heh jus thot i'd letcha kno, if u didnt already kno

slowEJ6 05-31-2003 03:31 PM

DC 4-1 is an excellent header.

cashizslick 06-01-2003 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AzCivic
an exhaust thats made for your application wont lose torque.
unless it is an APC exhaust, then it most sertainly loose power/get you a ticket for being obnoxious.