HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The next automotive move? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23023)

GT40FIED 10-22-2004 08:18 PM

The next automotive move?

Ok...so I decided to add another auto tech thread here. I ran into this product a few years ago and thought it was genius. Apparently nobody outside of industrial applications agrees with me. It's insanely cool and I'd love to see the technology on some street cars. I know there's a Mustang prowling around this company with these heads making over 1000hp.

http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv.html

mavaaoife 10-22-2004 08:21 PM

Wow... What does something like that go for? That looks fantasticly genuis to me..

GT40FIED 10-22-2004 09:12 PM

They're expensive since, last I checked with them, they made no direct swaps over to regular motors...although they could custom-make a motor for like $15K. That was about 3 or 4 years ago so who knows if that's changed. I do know the block they made for their Mustang was custom. It measured 5.0 liters, but it had no camshaft since those heads don't need them. But hell...for a car starting off as OHC, I can't imagine it would be that much.

mavaaoife 10-22-2004 09:16 PM

Wow.. now that is awsome.. was the 1000+hp mustang dyno'd?

GT40FIED 10-22-2004 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mycivicjust8u
Wow.. now that is awsome.. was the 1000+hp mustang dyno'd?

I think so. It was sort of the thing that people spoke of in hushed tones like it was a legend...even though hardly anyone knew about it. But I did ask the fellows at Coates about it in an email and all they would say is that there was a Mustang in their area with the setup. The next best thing to these back in the day were from a company called Dominion Performance that sold 32 valve 5.0L heads. They were something like $2500-$3000 a pair. Not sure if they're still in business.

mavaaoife 10-22-2004 09:27 PM

Hmm... something like the setup you have up there... they could custom make for a civic??? It seems like they would be better for something like a RX7.. Man imagine something like that in an RX7.. that thing would be a beast.

GT40FIED 10-22-2004 10:24 PM

I think they can custom make them for any engine...for a price. Like I said...it's been years since I corresponded with them...but I doubt the price has gone up. Their main stake is in industrial stuff...as evidenced by their natural gas 855c.i 6 cylinder, but they've claimed before that they can adapt their heads to just about anything. That'd be so sweet.

pdiggitydogg 10-22-2004 11:03 PM

There was a thread on this at a honda board I used to frequent. It said that they did offer custom work, so yeah a honda setup is possible.
Its a very neat idea, and I think that if its pushed, we may start seeing it or something similar in the future.

ebpda9 10-23-2004 01:03 AM

i like it.

KwikR6 10-23-2004 12:01 PM

I just had time to look at this and wow. That's fucking cool. How about reliability factors though? Now don't take that sentence as I'm doubting the engine, I'm just really curious of it. It's fucking awsome.

ebpda9 10-23-2004 12:13 PM

well less moving parts, less to go wrong with it. my only question would be the about the sealing of the cylinder head, but the new faucet valves in your kitchen opperate on the same principle

ChrisCantSkate 10-23-2004 12:56 PM

wow... im interested in this. i hope to see it in production soon. and 15k isnt really that bad if tey can put it in any car.

GT40FIED 10-23-2004 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Black Del Sol
How about reliability factors though?

Well since their big thing is industrial stuff, I'm sure they'd hold up well in a regular car. And also, like Stefan said, there's a lot fewer parts to deal with. Hell...there's not even a camshafts.

Edit: Ok...so I gave in to my curiosity and emailed these guys again with the same basic question...how applicable to existing motors would this be? Hopefully I'll hear from them on Monday and I'll post the response as soon as I hear from them.

JDMFantasy2k 10-23-2004 05:56 PM

hehe equip it on a square motor like a b16 and remove the rev limiter ;)

seriously, no valves which means only the pistons and rods have to change direction. So get some nice light pistons and i bet you could rev it to like 14K

GT40FIED 10-23-2004 07:49 PM

That would be an interesting setup. With no valve float to worry about and significantly better balancing and less parasitic drag due to the abscence of a poppet valve setup, you could really rev the shit out of that motor. But once again, with their base in industrial applications, I wonder how much high rpm testing they've done. Hopefully I will learn more when (and if) they get back to me.

ebpda9 10-23-2004 11:18 PM

ok ignorant question: what the hell is poppet ?

GT40FIED 10-23-2004 11:49 PM

According to Merriam-Webster it is "a : an upright support or guide of a machine that is fastened at the bottom only b : a valve that rises perpendicularly to or from its seat". Basically it's the standard valvetrain setup.

bisseranast 09-26-2021 04:20 AM

great car

franchesska 09-26-2021 04:25 PM

It looks great

DwyaneLin 10-14-2021 10:37 PM

sounds interesting man!