HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Draggin ass (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26374)

JDMFantasy2k 04-24-2006 03:28 PM

Draggin ass

Yeah so my right left suspension seems to be dragging ass. It's 3/4" lower that the rear right side and i can't figure out what's wrong with it. Everything appears to be in order. I'm wondering if something is bent because when i had my car on the alignment rack my caster was a little off... But reguardless that wouldn't affect the rear. Hoping i don't have a defective spring or some stupid shit. Any ideas?

pdiggitydogg 04-24-2006 03:51 PM

Springs in the right place?

JDMFantasy2k 04-24-2006 05:55 PM

confirmed

the fronts are marked with an F and the rears with an R. I've also inspected since installation (on a lift), to make sure that the springs are in the seats and in the strut mounts. The thing is though, only the rear left is draggin ass, the rear left is fine. So i'm thinking of switching them this week and seeing what happens. I've heard that the drives side gets worn more on cars because you sit on that side, but the car has 80,000 miles, and i'm only 120, lbs. Plus with new stuff we shouldn have an issue here.

pdiggitydogg 04-24-2006 06:30 PM

even someone sitting on that side, isnt going to drop the car enough to where you can see it (unless you seriously need to lose some weight anyways)
Im on board with swapping them around and then see where that goes...sag on the other side and you have a shat on spring

thermal 04-24-2006 08:22 PM

I second....

pdiggitydogg 04-24-2006 09:02 PM

Wait wait...what shocks are you running again?
Do they have an adjustable perch, ie koni yellows?

sicones 04-24-2006 09:06 PM

tein s tech and kyb agx, you sure you didnt get the bootleg ones right??

JDMFantasy2k 04-24-2006 09:19 PM

yeah everything's legit. I've checked and double checked. No adj. perches, so it looks like this weekend (or whenever i get time) i'll be swappin them.

ebpda9 04-24-2006 09:35 PM

what was the caster on the right front ?

JDMFantasy2k 04-27-2006 07:35 PM

here's my alignment...

front left: front right:
-0.6 Camber -0.9
2.1 Caster 2.1
0.02 Toe -0.01
11.6 SAI 11.7
10.9 included angle 10.7

front cross
camber 0.3
caster 0
SAI -0.1
total toe 0.02

Rear left: Rear right:
-1.7 Camber -2.0
0.12 toe 0.15

Rear cross
total toe 0.27
thrust angle -0.01
axle offset 0 in

It sure looks like shit, but the only measurement here out of spec is the rear right camber which needs to be less than 2* but we know what that's caused from. Plus i'll just shim it. The thing is i remember the rear left squatting before and never thought much of it, and now the drop has accented that. So the question is, wtf is bent...

pdiggitydogg 04-27-2006 07:47 PM

How do your lca's look?

JDMFantasy2k 04-27-2006 09:04 PM

i looked them over pretty good today and they look good. I might measure them tomorrow. But at some point in the near future i'm gonna swap in my friend's integra LCA's and see if it goes away.

pdiggitydogg 04-27-2006 09:21 PM

those will be too short, you gotta use ek lca's

JDMFantasy2k 04-27-2006 10:48 PM

fuck are you sure?

pdiggitydogg 04-27-2006 10:55 PM

sir yes sir
they will only be ok on eg's

I mean, you CAN use them...but youre going to need to seriously adjust the camber again, and even then, the wheels wont sit right

JDMFantasy2k 04-27-2006 11:56 PM

are you sure they're too short and not too long?

maybe i'll try it anyway and see how it works out. Being shorter may bring the ass up a little. Coule be interesting...

hmm what about ITR lca's aren't they longer?

JDMFantasy2k 05-05-2006 06:07 PM

well i swapped the rear strut assemblies today. I also took both apart to make sure they were seated correctly in the strut tower mount. The verdict...

Still got the gangster lean on the same side. It almost looks worse :wtf:

So i guess now i gotta try some different LCA's? WTF else could be bent?

nonovurbizniz 05-11-2006 08:56 PM

did you swap one whole assembly from one side to the other or did you just swap the struts?

Have you inspected the lower strut mounts?

If you did swap the whole spring/strut/perch assembly and the lower mount bushings look fine then the only things that could be dropping that side would be the lower control arm, or the upper spring seat, there is a VERY SLIGHT chance it could be the subframe... but DEF. not likely... neither is the upper spring/perch seat.

Also not sure what your lower mounts are like but on the EG and tegs the ITR has a different rear lower mount... the strut goes into a channel in the LCA and a bolt passes through it and bolts to threads on the opposite side of the LCA... where as on the EG's/non-type R tegs the strut has a mount on the bottom that the bolt goes through then through the LCA then screws into a welded nut on the strut. IE they're not interchangable... but I can't remember if the EK's had the same rear lower mount style as the type R or the normal teg/EG.

Anywho good luck.

JDMFantasy2k 05-11-2006 09:10 PM

i did swap the whole assembly

I've inspected the assemblies top to bottom, i even took them apart to ensure they were seated properly on the mounts.

I should inspect the bushings closer, i didn't really pay much attention to them... (time for engery suspension...)

Now that you mention it, it may be the bushing, that makes good sense. Otherwise i hope it's the LCA because i'm out of ideas.

Yeah the LCA design is like the eg, bolt passes through, screws into welded nut on the strut. Thanks for the advice.

BlackDeuceCoupe 05-12-2006 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMFantasy2k
The thing is though, only the rear left is draggin ass, the rear left is fine...

Um... I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this! Can you restate that a different way?

Are you saying you want the other corners to 'drag ass' also?

JDMFantasy2k 05-12-2006 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
Um... I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this! Can you restate that a different way?

Are you saying you want the other corners to 'drag ass' also?

typo, my bad. The rear RIGHT sits fine, there's a gap between the tire and the fender like there should be. However on the opposite side (rear LEFT) there is no gap, and if you look closely you can see the rear of the car slanting to the left. The rear right should look like the rear left. I'd take some pictures but it's been a fucking monsoon here lately...

pdiggitydogg 05-12-2006 10:12 AM

Still havent figured it out huh? I really have no new ideas......

JDMFantasy2k 05-12-2006 01:58 PM

well i inspected the bushings, little worn but still good. After talking with my instructors they're kinda clueless, and i think the only thing that could bend and cause that would be the LCA. So i got an idea to fix it :hmmm:

I'm gonna buy a new strut tower mount, bang out the studs and replace with longer studs. Then i'm goind to create a spacer plate to put in between the body and the strut mount. Hopefully it works.

pdiggitydogg 05-16-2006 10:23 AM

Id just buy a replacement lca man. Stockers have to be cheap on ht and ebay.
Hell, if I had one Id give it to you...but I dont...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...spagenameZWDVW
Compare that price to that of a new tophat, studs, plate, and your time

JDMFantasy2k 05-17-2006 08:58 PM

I've decided i'm just gonna shim it. With my sub in the car the back sits lower than i'd like ( with the drivers side being the lowest), so i'm thinking of fab'in up a shim that i can place inbetween the strut mount and the body. Any ideas?

sicones 05-17-2006 09:02 PM

what about coilovers