HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   + 20 hp and $1000 can it be done without nitrous ? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5180)

trabadoor22 05-21-2002 01:38 AM

+ 20 hp and $1000 can it be done without nitrous ?

i have been doing some reading and decided that im not going to get a supercharger , mainly due to financial reasons .and i dont want to go with nitrous because of reliability issues . i think i will go with the bolt on approach . i know the power gains will be minimal compared to a supercharger ot nitrous , but im not looking for extreme gains anyways . i just want my car to be a little more fun to drive . i would like to stay around the $1000 range for parts also . i was thinking of getting a cold air intake , headers , and a cat back exaust system . anyone think i can get around 20 hp out of all these bolt on parts ?

Maxvla 05-21-2002 01:57 AM

20 hp? just slap a bigass wing on there... those add 20 hp at least.

no really. I/H/E should get you 10-15. better cam would get you closer.

i'd almost say **** it and get a greddy turbo. not really expensive and definately makes the car alot more fun.

trabadoor22 05-21-2002 02:14 AM

i would like to get more hp if i could , but i cant afford for my car to break down . i just want something that i can put on the car and forget about it . i dont want to have to upgrade any engine parts to be able to handle the stress of a turbo , nitrous or a supercharger . i have heard that the greddy turbos are supposed to be much more safer than other turbos though . how much do they go for and would i need to go with any engine mods . thanks .

Maxvla 05-21-2002 02:34 AM

dunno prices.. but they are very reasonable. and no you don't hafta upgrade anything unless you really pump up the boost.

Turbopower 05-21-2002 02:24 PM

My friend just put the greddy turbo on hie CRX and at the track he ran a 14.1 QM time only 6 lb of boost. We did the bolt on our selves. On www.Groupbuycenter.com I think he got the Greddy kit for about $ 1300. We got an Intercooler from the junk yard that will definately add more power. :yes:

Maxvla 05-21-2002 11:23 PM

nice price... what did his car run pre-turbo?

myself 05-22-2002 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maxvla

no really. I/H/E should get you 10-15. better cam would get you closer.

You'd be lucky if you could get 10 hp out of all that, and that's spending at least 700 on those 3 things. You would be better off spening a little over a grand on a turbo, but if you don't want a turbo then go with I/H/E and lightened flywheels and little things like that.

Maxvla 05-22-2002 01:42 AM

97 civic should respond well to those mods... 10 hp i think is easily attainable. 15 maybe pushing it... but whatever.