HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Coil Overs (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8813)

Hondacivic-girl 10-30-2002 08:37 PM

Coil Overs

I need some help. We put coil overs on my honda and the ride sucks! I have talked to a few people this past weekend at a show trying to get some input on suggestions. Can you use regular stock struts with coil overs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Hondacivic-girl

00 Si 10-30-2002 08:50 PM

Yes you can. I have factory shocks up front. I replaced the back ones due to they blew when I put my coilovers on. How much did you lower it? If you lowered it to much with factory shocks, they are going to blow and your ride will suck azz.

Hope that helped.

slowEJ6 10-30-2002 08:55 PM

yes you can use them.....but your stock shocks are 10yrs old, they arent going to enjoy being lowered much and yes, the ride quality does suck ass because you are putting a 4" drop spring on a shock that wasnt made to work with that.....

i cant stand the ride of my car, hence the reason i hardly ever drive it.

Hondacivic-girl 10-30-2002 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 00 Si
Yes you can. I have factory shocks up front. I replaced the back ones due to they blew when I put my coilovers on. How much did you lower it? If you lowered it to much with factory shocks, they are going to blow and your ride will suck azz.

Hope that helped.

Well they are not the shocks from the factory, just replaced with same type was wondering if there is actually shocks/struts that are suppose to be ran with coil overs. Like to run the car as low as possible think it is dropped about 3.5".

Gotta find something better to ride on....love my car hate the dang ride though:eek:

00 Si 10-30-2002 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hondacivic-girl
Well they are not the shocks from the factory, just replaced with same type was wondering if there is actually shocks/struts that are suppose to be ran with coil overs. Like to run the car as low as possible think it is dropped about 3.5".

Gotta find something better to ride on....love my car hate the dang ride though:eek:

Tokico's or Koni Yellows are the best out there in my opinion. I have the tokico's in the back on my Si. Love em. And I have Ground Control Coilovers on my car.

94_AcCoRd_EX 10-30-2002 09:52 PM

For a 3.5" drop, I'd say Koni yellows. Not much will stand up to that kind of drop.

ChrisCantSkate 10-30-2002 11:23 PM

koni yellows are a must, they are the only shock designed to handle a car that low. if you were at about 2' you could get away with kyb adjustables.

Rob 10-30-2002 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 4thGenlude
koni yellows are a must, they are the only shock designed to handle a car that low. if you were at about 2' you could get away with kyb adjustables.

that's what I have :yes:

Hondacivic-girl 10-31-2002 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 4thGenlude

Koni Yellows both front and rear? Whats kyb?

ebpda9 10-31-2002 10:31 AM

kyb is another brand of shocks. they are desinged for stock ride height but KYB said they could handle drops to 1.6" without blowing the shock.

ChrisCantSkate 10-31-2002 10:40 AM

ive got roughly a 1.75-2inch drop(ground conrtol coilovers) and i dont beat on my shockas at all on potholes, bumps, train tracks etc etc, and mine are holding out fine. still can throw me up against my door on a turn and not loose traction

slowEJ6 10-31-2002 02:03 PM

koni yellows are the way to go, i will be utilizing a set when i have the funds. :yes:

ChrisCantSkate 10-31-2002 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
ive got roughly a 1.75-2inch drop(ground conrtol coilovers) and i dont beat on my shockas at all on potholes, bumps, train tracks etc etc, and mine are holding out fine. still can throw me up against my door on a turn and not loose traction

i forgot to mention i have kyb adjustables

Rob 10-31-2002 09:19 PM

Eibach ERS springs with Ground Control Coil adjustments
Koni adjustable shocks - this what I have w/approx. 2" drop and my ride is pretty smooth over bumps......

ebpda9 10-31-2002 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AccordinStyle
that's what I have :yes:

you have what ? 2 brands of shocks are specified above you :foot: you must have the yellows since kyb does not make agx's for you

Rob 10-31-2002 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hondaman-iac
you have what ? 2 brands of shocks are specified above you :foot: you must have the yellows since kyb does not make agx's for you

Stefan.....
Quote:

Eibach ERS springs with Ground Control Coil adjustments
Koni adjustable shocks - this what I have w/approx. 2" drop and my ride is pretty smooth over bumps......

ebpda9 10-31-2002 11:20 PM

saw that too late. ;( i wanna get some coil overs. i'm thinking about the ground controls or skunk 2 or the tein setup.

Rob 10-31-2002 11:29 PM

Quote:

saw that too late. ;( i wanna get some coil overs. i'm thinking about the ground controls or skunk 2 or the tein setup.

I would recommend ground control dude....just my $0.02....

94_AcCoRd_EX 11-01-2002 12:09 AM

Quote:

Umm... no comparsion. TEIN

Rob 11-01-2002 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Umm... no comparsion. TEIN

never heard of TEIN :crazy: have to check in to them........

*EDIT This is why I haven't heard of them, too pricey for me....*
Quote:

TEIN SUPER STREET Damper Full Coilovers
Accord 98+ CG2 DSH94-KUSS2 $1,000.00

94_AcCoRd_EX 11-01-2002 03:07 AM

Quote:

You've really never heard of them? Much better than a sleeve/strut combo (performance wise). Only problem is Stefan said they only had a $1700 model for the 4G Accord. I'd pay $1k for them though, and when I get the money, I'll have the Tein HA setup on my car.

Shaved &/or Laid 11-01-2002 11:26 AM

im going groundcontrol and Koni yellows prolly, being a former mini-trucker..i NEED lowness

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: lowness

ChrisCantSkate 11-01-2002 11:56 AM

Quote:

thats a good deal. my next car is getting tein's RS serise. i'll probobly get the pillowball upper and lower mounts and the top of the line setup. tanabe and HKS also makes a real good setup as does apex, if i get a 240, i MIGHT go with apex's top of the line.

Rob 11-01-2002 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
You've really never heard of them? Much better than a sleeve/strut combo (performance wise). Only problem is Stefan said they only had a $1700 model for the 4G Accord. I'd pay $1k for them though, and when I get the money, I'll have the Tein HA setup on my car.

Nope....not until you mentioned them....right now I'm pretty happy with my ride with the ground control/Koni setup....maybe if I decide to change my suspension set up or if I switch cars I'll look into them.......

Hey Chris (the artist formerly know as 4thGen), is a $1000 really a good price for what TEIN offers performance wise??

Hondacivic-girl 11-02-2002 01:23 PM

Thanks for everyones input! I am considering going with some springs and different shock/struts. Not sure what to do just yet!