HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ECU Reset? (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3032)

hondabob 02-18-2002 03:25 PM

ECU Reset?

Hey,
I have been reading a lot of the posts on this cool site, and I can not find one that actually states and explains how to reset the ECU. After most modifications to the engine, it is constantly stated to reset the ECU? Can someone direct me to this thread, or tell me how to do it please. Thx

H.B.

Racing Rice 02-18-2002 03:31 PM

There are a couple ways to do it. One is take the Negative cable off for about 15 mins (maybe not that long, but thats what I do it for) then put it back on, start your car and let it idle for about 10 mins before you press on the gas. This will give your ECU time to learn all the information.

The other way you can do it is, under the hood in the fuse box there is a fuse for backup radio [or something like that], its a 7.5 amp fuse. you can pull that out for about 15 mins, then put it back in, and start your car and let it idle for about 10 mins before you press on the gas.

Ive heard people say its better to disconnect your battery Terminal, but Ive never seen a difference either way. Besides the fact that you should disconnect your negative side when installing parts anyway just as a safety messure.

hondabob 02-18-2002 04:04 PM

Thanks Racing Rice! Hey, another question if you have time. What is the difference between coil overs as oposed to a set of sport springs and shocks? Is it a combination. Which would you recomend and what brand for adjustible hight.
Thanks
H.B.

94_AcCoRd_EX 02-18-2002 04:09 PM

Well, I'm not RR, but I'll take a stab at it ;)

Coilovers are height adjustable as opposed to just springs. You can get coilover "sleeves" such as Ground Control, Skunk 2, Weapon R, etc. that will require a set of struts to go with them. These don't provide a very nice ride quality.

True coilovers (Usually $900+) incorporate both the spring and strut together as a matched system. If you have the money, go for these. I'm eventually going to get the Apex'i WS true coilovers for my car, and they run around $850, which is a good deal.

hondabob 02-18-2002 04:32 PM

Thanks. Is that for all four points of the suspension? $850?
Thanks
H.B.

94_AcCoRd_EX 02-18-2002 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hondabob
Thanks. Is that for all four points of the suspension? $850?
Thanks
H.B.

Yes, that is for the four springs, four struts, and an adjustment tool.

hondabob 02-18-2002 04:43 PM

Sweet. Thanks!!
H.B.

94_AcCoRd_EX 02-18-2002 05:25 PM

Quote:

Sweet. Thanks!!
H.B.

No prob... you thinking about doing your suspension?

hondabob 02-18-2002 05:33 PM

Yup. Sometime this spring. I have a really cool place a get my stuff done at. I want to learn more but I don't want to mess up my ride doin it. I am gonna ask them if I can watch and learn. I need better handling and a better ride. My stock stuff just ain't cuttin it. I want to lower it. I don't have the money for outer mods yet but probably will just work on the engine and suspension. I am thinking of getting a MSD ignition system as well as eventually a supercharger? Any sugestions? I am a sponge for knowledge. This stuff makes my day and interests me. How about a lighter flywheel? Does it improve my acceleration? Do I need a new clutch? Sorry. I have a lot to learn. I will look more on the board for more info. Thanks for taking your time with me for this.

H.B.

Racing Rice 02-18-2002 07:05 PM

Are you thinking about doing any type of racing?

hondabob 02-18-2002 08:11 PM

Not track or pro, just knowing that I have the power. I only feel comfortable in my car when I'm going at least 80, otherwise I feel slow and unsafe. I just want to learn. I want to soak it all up and maybe someday, design somthing wit my computer know-how for modders. I would love to race, but money is a issue...Kind of..

Racing Rice 02-19-2002 10:21 AM

Thats cool I know what you mean. You could probably get away with some nice Springs like H&R or Eibachs, etc... And get some good shocks like Koni [Yellows], they arent super cheap but worth every penny IMO. Instead of a Supercharger, you may want to look at going turbo. These days there isnt much lag with a smaller turbo and they are so much easy to Upgrade to get more power then a Supercharger will be. I know several peeps that either had SCers and are switching to Turbo, or have a SC and are wishing they had turbos. Just something to think about.;)

hondabob 02-19-2002 02:58 PM

Right on. But I can't use my AEM intake and DC header with the turbo kit though can I?

Racing Rice 02-19-2002 04:07 PM

Quote:

Right on. But I can't use my AEM intake and DC header with the turbo kit though can I?

Nope.. Just sell them, then with that money buy a boost controller or a turbo timer..:D ;)