HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   For The Geek In You (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   office 2007 (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27036)

Robert 12-11-2006 12:11 PM

office 2007

Anyone tried it yet?

I'm interested to hear your feedback.

blind34_1 12-11-2006 08:35 PM

I just downloaded it, because I had some free time. I installed it in a winxp virtual machine. Took a bit longer to install than office 2003, but I expected that.

My initial impression with Word 2007 was "Gah." But then after clicking around and getting familar with the the new menu system, I understood why they went that direction. As it is now, even Word 2003 pros get lost in the sea of menus and sub-menus. It looks like they aimed to help that problem, and so far I am optimistic.

I am trying to figure out why they default to blue text though. even in the print preview its blue.

I may change my opinion as I use it in a practical situation. I'll have several papers to write this quarter, so I'll see if I can't use 2007 for at least one of them. Then I'll know for sure how I feel about it.

ebpda9 12-14-2006 12:21 AM

i think it's bah. too many resources get eaten up for a 4th letter to the extension lol. the new menus seem a bit more user friendlier. It seems to integrate really realy well with windows vista.

If you use word as your default outlook editor you are in for some annoying messages after installing o2k7 on a pre-vista machine.

Robert 12-14-2006 06:44 AM

I installed it 2 days ago, and am enjoying the improvements.

Granted it is slightly slower, as my computer is 2 years old. HOwever it was well worth it.

Everything upgraded seamlessly.

Robert 12-16-2006 07:08 AM

Further note for anyone following this, I installed Business Contact Manager 2007 to aid in the business planning/start up.

For anyone who might use this on a syste with less then 1.5GB of RAM don't. With Norton Internet 2006 (100mb), outlook + contact manager (200mb), IE7 (100mb), add a bunch of little services and I'm up to 900mb used.

So if you work on the computer all day it quickly gets over 1GB, fortunately I added another 1GB for just 140CAD.

blind34_1 12-17-2006 12:53 PM

yeah I'm starting to feel the low memory woes lately. Not because of Office 2007 yet, but from all the virtual machines I run. I'm not going to buy any more ram until I'm ready for a full upgrade (new motherboard, conroe cpu). Gonna need to go ddr2 800 (due to ddr400 being phased out).

thanks for the heads up about contact manager.

Grip72 12-17-2006 08:03 PM

first impression = garbage and confusing
another look = still crap. i don't like the menus, its too childish and colorful for my liking haha.

and what the hell is with the new terrible IE 7 or whateveR? its sooo bad and ridiculously slow. It's a good thing Firefox is my true love

Robert 12-18-2006 06:29 AM

Grip72 you need to actually use the software, it is a drastic improvement over a menu system that was hard to use. Now everything is just a tab away.

If you actually use word and outlook on a regular basis for business this is a huge improvement and will save you lots of time.

If you're just a home user who infrequently uses this applications, then I can understand what you're saying.