HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   High Performance (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I6 vs V6 (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10042)

ebpda9 12-05-2002 08:39 PM

I6 vs V6

i was wondering what's the difference in performance betwee
the 2 engines listed above. don't tell me tat the i6 has the pistons inline and the v6 has them in v. i mean performance wise and why. Most of the true sports cars have an i6 inline: porche, nissan skyline, i think supra does too.

Kyle 12-05-2002 10:01 PM

This is just a guess...but i think that the v6 would probably produce more heat than the i6...

TeriyakiBroccoli 12-05-2002 10:02 PM

I thought porsche had the horizontal setup..... where pistons are pushing against each other like ---> this <----

Accord Man 12-05-2002 10:16 PM

You guys are kidding right?!

ebpda9 12-05-2002 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TeriyakiBroccoli
I thought porsche had the horizontal setup..... where pistons are pushing against each other like ---> this <----

that's called a boxer engine. subaru has them too, but to be a true boxer engine it has to be air cooled

Quote:

Originally posted by Accord Man
You guys are kidding right?!

kid about what ? :confused:

BlazinCrx 12-06-2002 01:54 AM

Inline 6 make power much better and with much higher eff. They are also easier to turbo (skyline, supra) and make much better torque. On the other hand v6s are not without their place and if done right can be a better motor (grand national, 300zx, syclones) It really depends on the setup. but in my past experiences I will take a i6 anyday.

Accord Man 12-06-2002 08:55 AM

The biggest difference between I6's and their V6 counterparts is torque - I6's usually have considerably more torque available at lower rpm than their V6 counterparts, and they usually rev a bit lower, tho there are plenty of 7k rpm i6's out there...

Also, V's have more vibration than inline engines. Simply because of the ossolition involed. But more power can be transmitted and a lower CG can be achived. Also the take up less space.

Most common production car I6's are underpowered for what they are. The I6 layout is one of the best balanced configurations you can have, it's easier to dampen the forces acting on the block...maybe not coincidentally, some of the most robust blocks around are inline 6's (Chrysler 4.0, RB26DETT, 2JZGTE...)

If you're looking into getting an inline, you can turn them into pretty good performers. There's a website called cliffordperformance.com that specializes in straight sixes.

Boosted3g 12-14-2002 03:14 PM

Accord man hit the nail on the hed. More torque, less vibration. one thing i dont agree with is the revs. I know of very few v6's that can rev with an inline 6. I have no proof to support it other than the fact that i drive a ton of cars and the inline 6 is so smooth and likes to rev. You would almost think it was a rotory.

96civicFL 12-15-2002 12:20 AM

My parents got a 2002 Envoy with the I6 7k redline 270hp it has no bottom end its all up high like around 4500 -5000 rpm's.
its a stock car (very heavy) and it ran a 15.9 1/4 (helped that dad did a Nutual 3k drop to drive and took off) But I love the I6 ' s much better.

ChrisCantSkate 12-15-2002 01:51 AM

accord man nailed it!

94_AcCoRd_EX 12-15-2002 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 96civicFL
My parents got a 2002 Envoy with the I6 7k redline 270hp it has no bottom end its all up high like around 4500 -5000 rpm's.
its a stock car (very heavy) and it ran a 15.9 1/4 (helped that dad did a Nutual 3k drop to drive and took off) But I love the I6 ' s much better.

Neutral drop in a new car.... guess he doesn't value the tranny much. :rolleyes:

Rob 12-15-2002 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Neutral drop in a new car.... guess he doesn't value the tranny much. :rolleyes:

:no:

Accord Man 12-15-2002 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Boosted3g
Accord man hit the nail on the hed. More torque, less vibration. one thing i dont agree with is the revs. I know of very few v6's that can rev with an inline 6. I have no proof to support it other than the fact that i drive a ton of cars and the inline 6 is so smooth and likes to rev. You would almost think it was a rotory.

Its not that they cant rev, its just that max power is achieved at lower rpm. Beyone which theres no use revving any higher..

:)

nonovurbizniz 12-15-2002 07:23 PM

also just fyi the boxer engine is in a porsche and the pistons go like this:
[--0--]
They used to be air-cooled but are not anymore.
the subaru's also use a "boxer" engine. Air cooling has nothing to due with being a boxer motor. it is called a boxer motor becaus if you look at any two pistons on a side the are going back and forth like a boxer. The advantages of a boxer engine are a lower center of gravity because the heads and the cams and the pistons are all on a flat plane inline with the crank.

CC means cumbustion chamber.
Boxer 6:
Head CC Piston Rod Crank Rod Piston CC Head

Inline 6
Head
C.C
Piston
Rod
Crank

V6
head head
CC CC
Piston Piston
Rod Rod
Crank

ChrisCantSkate 12-15-2002 10:43 PM

the old VW beetles were true air-cooled boxer engines

nonovurbizniz 12-16-2002 12:36 PM

ya word that's where the porsche engine came from. vw/porsche/audi all the same cars.

Accord Man 12-16-2002 09:13 PM

Dr. Ing. hc Ferdinand Porsche...

ebpda9 12-16-2002 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Accord Man
Dr. Ing. hc Ferdinand Porsche...

What ? VW/Audi/porche are the same company under VW AG

nonovurbizniz 12-16-2002 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hondaman-iac
What ? VW/Audi/porche are the same company under VW AG

I'm not sure what your asking but... ya essentially porcshe vw and audi are all the same...

there are certain model vw's that share chassis with porsche's (only 1 i think and it was short run but regardless) same with vw/audi.

they're all connected. how tight that connection is legally or historically I have no idea.