HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   WTF, my hood wont open. (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26057)

Racing Rice 02-15-2006 10:23 PM

WTF, my hood wont open.

I went to check my fluids and the stupid hood wouldn't pop. I was by myself so I couldn't lift on the hood while someone pulled on the lever.

If I can't get it to open like that, does anyone have any ideas how to get the stupid thing open?:mad: :eek:

Si-R CRX 02-16-2006 08:57 AM

Did you try pulling up on it after you poped it? Cause mine does that. i have to pop it and go pull up around where the latch is.

Racing Rice 02-16-2006 12:47 PM

Yes, I pulled the lever and then tried to pull up on the hood, wiggle the hood, push back down on the hood. I pulled and pushed on that stupid hood for about 5 mins. I'll have to get someone to hold the handle while I move the hood around and see if I can work it loose. Maybe it's sticking and needs some WD40 or something. Hopefully something is not broken.

JDMFantasy2k 02-16-2006 02:04 PM

could be a lazy spring, and i'm betting it wouldn't hurt to try and lube or replace the hood latch cable.

Racing Rice 02-16-2006 02:07 PM

I'll try to lube it first, if I can get it open.:D

pdiggitydogg 02-16-2006 07:23 PM

mine does that when its really cold, but only because I use a crappy grease on the latch

Unless you can hear the lever move when the handle is pulled, I dont know what to tell ya
On mine, since the upper grille is gutted, I can just fanangle a screwdriver or something at the release (totally dumb to say that on an open forum)

KwikR6 02-16-2006 08:18 PM

Start your car on fire. Cut apart your car. Punch it. Kick it. Cut off the hood. Change your fluids.

JDMFantasy2k 02-16-2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
mine does that when its really cold, but only because I use a crappy grease on the latch

Unless you can hear the lever move when the handle is pulled, I dont know what to tell ya
On mine, since the upper grille is gutted, I can just fanangle a screwdriver or something at the release (totally dumb to say that on an open forum)

totally dumb that you can open your hood through your grill :rolleyes:

Si-R CRX 02-16-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pdiggitydogg

He said fanangle :D

pdiggitydogg 02-16-2006 10:21 PM

Its not like its easy to do though, I put a cover on that part over the summer

I say fanangle a lot! :D

Racing Rice 02-17-2006 08:42 AM

I think I might beable to get a screw driver in there, but it would be tricky. It feels like there is tension when I pull the lever, so I don't think the cable is broke. It's probably just stuck. I don't really drive it that much any more, but it's time for an oil change. This is tricky to do when you can't open the hood.:D

KwikR6 02-17-2006 10:27 AM

Yeah...doing an oil change on a car who's hood won't open could be a problem haha

pdiggitydogg 02-17-2006 10:55 AM

you might be able to remove the upper grille, by removing the 4 screws, but I dont know if you use those side clips

Racing Rice 02-17-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KwikR6
Yeah...doing an oil change on a car who's hood won't open could be a problem haha

Seriously, the fire thing did come to mind.. I'll just say it started on fire and I couldn't get the hood open..:D

It is paid off after all.:bandit:

KwikR6 02-17-2006 12:39 PM

and then say you tried to pee on it to put it out!

ebpda9 02-20-2006 08:56 PM

get a torch

nonovurbizniz 02-21-2006 10:33 AM

My hood latch cable has had sticky operation for a LONG time... the cable is finally freying and about to snap all together...

Chances are your cable is bound up either due to an internal problem or the cable has been moved/twisted into a position where it binds the cable on the inside.

If you run completely out of options you can cut the hood latch cable and just pull on the steel inner cable with a pair of vice grips... it might require stripping back the outer plastic cable a bit and it will DEFINATELY mean having to replace it... but it will get the hood open.

Before doing that you could also try using vice grips to pull the wire from inside the car... but chances are if the lever isn't doing it then the vice grips won't either.

Racing Rice 03-02-2006 09:34 AM

Hah! I finally got my hood opened yesterday. (Shows how motivated I am, right?) I just kept pulling and shaking the hood until it finally opened. Then I sprayed it with some lubricant. Hopefully that helps keep it from sticking again.

How perverted did that post just sound? :D

KwikR6 03-03-2006 06:48 PM

hahaha good job man